Pioneer Ported sub box problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

claytonc2001

Malta
Hi Car Audio lovers,

Yesterday I bought a new Pioneer TS-W311D4 Subwoofer. I ordered an the Pioneer GM-D8601 for the Amp. Now I just need to design a box for it. This is my first box build and I am totally confused about the box. I am going with ported because I want more bumbin. I have downloaded WinISD to design my box put cant get the hand of it. The box will be going in the trunk of my car which is an Opel Corsa 2016 (I don`t think they are available in the us). I don`t want to take my whole trunk so I got these measurements. 18W" * 13D" * 15". My problem is the port. I will be going for a slot port but in WinISD I either get too big of a length or get high air port velocity. Pioneer recommends a box volume of 1.5 cu ft and a round port of 3" but I rather go for the slot port. If someone can help me that would be awesome.

Vehicle : Opel Corsa 2016

Location in the vehicle: Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 18*13*15

Subwoofer make and model: Pioneer TS-W311D4

Subwoofer Size:12"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot

What type of music do you like?:pop

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?:Everday Music

Tuning Freq (Hz): 35

Volume :1.5cu ft

Questions:port lengh,Area, Box size

Hi Car Audio lovers,
Yesterday I bought a new Pioneer TS-W311D4 Subwoofer. I ordered an the Pioneer GM-D8601 for the Amp. Now I just need to design a box for it. This is my first box build and I am totally confused about the box. I am going with ported because I want more bumbin. I have downloaded WinISD to design my box put cant get the hand of it. The box will be going in the trunk of my car which is an Opel Corsa 2016 (I don`t think they are available in the us). I don`t want to take my whole trunk so I got these measurements. 18W" * 13D" * 15". My problem is the port. I will be going for a slot port but in WinISD I either get too big of a length or get high air port velocity. Pioneer recommends a box volume of 1.5 cu ft and a round port of 3" but I rather go for the slot port. If someone can help me that would be awesome.

my pioneer slot ported box is tuned at 35hz., u bought wrong amp for ported it don't have ss filter.. i'll send u link to my box if u can fit it just make port 1/2" wider than mine (if u can make it long enough to tune low cause u need that with that amp) i'll pm u link..

my pioneer slot ported box is tuned at 35hz., u bought wrong amp for ported it don't have ss filter.. i'll send u link to my box if u can fit it just make port 1/2" wider than mine (if u can make it long enough to tune low cause u need that with that amp) i'll pm u link..
for every day music he wont need a subsonic filter. Nothing goes under 30hz with normal top 40s, rock, alternative etc.... Modern hip hop may reach 28hz but thats rare so to be honest for his music choice he does not need any subsonic filter.

Hi Car Audio lovers,

you need to give up a lot more space if you want to do slot ported. the dimensions you have is only 1.48 cubes Gross airspace. You need a net cubic feet of 1.5 which means you need to account for the space the port and the sub takes up. With your current dimensions you'll have a hard time getting anywhere tuned below 40hz with proper port area.

if you can do 13.5 x 24 x 18 with a port height of 12 and port width of 2 and port length of 28, you will get 1.6 cubes tuned to 35hz

Nah screw it I am just going with a round port it will do the same thing and has less problems. I was going slot port just because I liked it more. I don`t want to take a lot of boot area thats all the dimensions I have. I got the recommended dimensions that Pioneer supplied with a 3" port and entered them in WinISD. For Transfer function magnatued I got this View attachment 26556298

And for Rear Port air velocity I got this

View attachment 26556299

As you can see I am getting 247 ft/s peak. Is this too much for a round port?

Nah screw it I am just going with a round port it will do the same thing and has less problems. I was going slot port just because I liked it more. I don`t want to take a lot of boot area thats all the dimensions I have. I got the recommended dimensions that Pioneer supplied with a 3" port and entered them in WinISD. For Transfer function magnatued I got this View attachment 26556298

View attachment 26556299

you need to stay under 100 feet per second to avoid port noise. If thats the max space you have, there is no going ported with this setup at all. You only can do sealed or downsize to a 10 ported. You dont have anywhere near enough airspace. Winisd automatically assumes you have already accounted for the space the port takes up. Even an aero port takes up space so unless you can squeeze out a good couple inches in your dimensions, there's no way you are gonna do ported.

View attachment 26556299

No, it's not the same. Round ports are known for port noise vs slot ports. You'll encounter that "problem" vs a slot port.

i told him all this in pm's.. box size exact same as jeff and slot port wouldn't fit and needed a 10" sub and get aero port., he can do it as is just have noise.. should just do sealed if u don't wanta do bigger box man..

Sorry I didn`t see the messages before I posted.

i told him all this in pm's.. box size exact same as jeff and slot port wouldn't fit and needed a 10" sub and get aero port., he can do it as is just have noise.. should just do sealed if u don't wanta do bigger box man..
I managed to get a few more inches and I got this. 18"W * 15.5"H * 15"D. The Net Volume is 1.5 cu ft. The Gross Volume is 1.8cu ft. But ta achive this I tuned the port to 38HZ. Will it still sound good at this Tuning Frequency? Also I got a peak of 86.6ft/s peak. This is fine right? Tell me if I got something wrong please.

Thanks

Sorry I didn`t see the messages before I posted.
I managed to get a few more inches and I got this. 18"W * 15.5"H * 15"D. The Net Volume is 1.5 cu ft. The Gross Volume is 1.8cu ft. But ta achive this I tuned the port to 38HZ. Will it still sound good at this Tuning Frequency? Also I got a peak of 86.6ft/s peak. This is fine right? Tell me if I got something wrong please.

Thanks
so u got 1.5cf ad after subtracting port and sub disp? sub displacement is about .1 on those so that would put u at 1.4 if not but 38hz is ok if u mainly listen to rock but higher u tune more u need ss filter on amp.. so it'll work at worst won't play as deep and 6 months sub may mess up cause no ss filter (may last for ever) try to round off the leading edge or port board like in that box link (i think i pm to u)

I got 1.8 ft and after subtracting sub displacmen and port area I got 1.5cu ft.
ok box size is probably fine so your amp 800rms but is that at 2 ohm? i forgot.. u run 800 to it it'll sound good.. just make sure port has flares on each end not just piece of pvc (if u want better sound).. my sub has dual spider so they kinda stiff in beginning make sure all bass boost and eq on the hu off for week or so, my spiders took about 1 1/2 months to break in cause i don't drive much, sub will get louder later on..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.