Pioneer or Pride sub for car?

Cone area usually rules as well from my experience,though depending on the vehicle,placement and tuning,and type of enclosure and power
Right, and if I recall, going from an 8" to 10", 10" to 12" will get you another 3 db each time you jump a size - all things being equal.

Right, and if I recall, going from an 8" to 10", 10" to 12" will get you another 3 db each time you jump a size - all things being equal.
Absolutely. Def. tell from a pair of 10s-12s, especially 8s-10s. LOL. Experiencing from a single XFL12 on 1k to a pair of S.Qubed 600 rms 10s was a significant increase of output and performance on the same power both tuned to 32HTZ subs up port up

-Strictly speaker-ing, the math works like this. Let's start with the basics and compare what a doubling of the volume to the ear look like in decibels (either efficiency or relative to a doubling of wattage, 3 db is 3 db). At 1 watt 1 meter it takes roughly 9-10 db for the ear to perceive a doubling of the volume (SPL). Starting with wattage, here is what it takes to double the volume at the ear using wattage. Starting with any driver and a 500 watt amplifier.

500 to 1000 watts - +3 db increase in output (33% louder)
1000 to 2000 watts - another +3 db increase in output (plus 6 db over 500 watts and 66% louder)
2000 to 4000 watts - another +3 db increase in output and roughly 99% louder than 500 watts or a doubling of the volume to the ear.

Using a single driver for comparison (keeps it simple though the math applies in multiples too) a woofer that is 9-10 db more efficient and all other things (like cone size, xmech/xmax, etc) being the same, that driver will be twice as loud at the same input as the one that is 9-10 db less efficient. So, while this true, if the less efficient driver is less by that 9-10 db and could take 8 times the power, it can be as loud as the super efficient driver too.

Using the math, let's give the Pioneers their 500 watts and their 10 db higher efficiency compared to the other sub in the list. Since we know the other driver is going to get 33% louder at 1000 watts that it will at 500, that still makes the Pioneer sub about 66% louder at 500 watts than the Pride will be at 1000 watts/86 db.

Again, eliminating many of the variables that can play a part, strictly speaking, the Pride (if it could handle it) would need about 4000 watts of input to equal the Pioneer at 500 watts. I know it seems cray, but the math (and the physics) don't lie!

Just build a better box and use the Pioneers.
Rule of thumb maybe but motor force and the interaction of sub to enclosure can throw a huge wrench in that.

I can tell you going from 2 Dayton ho10s to 2 sa10v2 on the same power in the same enclosure was a dramatic difference like easily 6db of measurable difference. Even though cone area and power stayed the same.

I personally would swap the pioneer sub with a many of other brands be it the sql10, the sa10v2, American bass xr or xfl, ssa icon, fi alpha, incriminator lethal injection or bolo, even the nvx vcw you commonly link.

Even on the same power if you get a bigger coil in the gap, you will have more motor force that's just physics.

Add in differences in magnet grades, mms and cms and it can be dramatic. Then add in the enclosure effect.

Realistically a sql10 on 1000w models almost identically to an adire koda on 500w in a sealed box because it doesn't want a sealed box. Really neither does the koda.

Rule of thumb maybe but motor force and the interaction of sub to enclosure can throw a huge wrench in that.

I can tell you going from 2 Dayton ho10s to 2 sa10v2 on the same power in the same enclosure was a dramatic difference like easily 6db of measurable difference. Even though cone area and power stayed the same.

I personally would swap the pioneer sub with a many of other brands be it the sql10, the sa10v2, American bass xr or xfl, ssa icon, fi alpha, incriminator lethal injection or bolo, even the nvx vcw you commonly link.

Even on the same power if you get a bigger coil in the gap, you will have more motor force that's just physics.

Add in differences in magnet grades, mms and cms and it can be dramatic. Then add in the enclosure effect.

Realistically a sql10 on 1000w models almost identically to an adire koda on 500w in a sealed box because it doesn't want a sealed box. Really neither does the koda.
True, and why I state, all things considered equal. There are a multitude of variants, but that foundation is where you start and build from there, knowledge wise. I see too many situations where people think that new drivers and twice the power are golden only to be sadly surprised that it isn't any better and in some cases worse. In this situation, not talking about 2 stellar products anyways, not thinking with 1000 watts and those pride drivers, the OP is going to hear anything better, certainly not any louder.

I remember going from a pair of Pio 12's, middle of the road TS-W1200Fs to there their flagship SPL monster TS-W5000SPL's . I went from a 500 watt amp to a 1000 watt amp and because the SPL's were a bit less efficient (4 db), zero difference in volume. That said, when played at max for either, the SPL's definitely sounded better for sure. On that same note (no pun intended) for musical playback the 1200F's were more dynamic, faster at that 500 watts. The SPL's were 4 times the cost of the 1200F's too. Now, when we added amp for a 2000 watt setup, everything played at medium or above volume was much improved with the SPL's, completely.

Different equally efficient larger motor/higher quality drivers at 1500 to 3000 watts versus what we are working with here, yeah, that would be the ticket.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...