Pioneer head unit compatability

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jackfitz5

I just noticed that my pioneer head units booklet says that "when speaker output is used by 4 channels, use speakers over 50w and from 4 to 8 ohms. Do not use 1 to 3 ohm speakers for this unit."

I have wired my head unit in the standard wire to wire sense. I was planning on running the blue/white control wire to the amp in the back and then wiring my 4 4 ohm subs down to 1 ohm. Then it's just standard wiring to the amp with the power and ground. I planned on using the rca inputs for my subs and keeping the wiring for the rest of my speakers. Is this correct? I have also read about a big 3 that I might need to replace on my vehicles standard power and ground cables. Is this necessary?

If you are not running an amp to any other speakers, and only the subs then yes. It is saying 50w minimum if you are running speakers off the head unit through the factory speaker wires.

If you are running 4 subs off an amp, I'm pretty sure you are going to want to put some juice to the rest of the system. Your head unit should have probably 2 or 3 sets of rca ouputs (4 or 6 channel). You most likely want to get an amp for your non-sub speakers. Connect a second amp with RCA cables through the front channel, unless you really plan on only adding subs. Your factory speakers will sound better getting 50w per channel (which is almost guaranteed an improvement from what ever your factory setup is). I just cant imagine in any way that if you add 4 subs, it wouldn't completely drown out 4 factory speakers running off 50w.

The big 3, yes, do it. It will "open up"/help your entire electrical system.

If you are not running an amp to any other speakers, and only the subs then yes. It is saying 50w minimum if you are running speakers off the head unit through the factory speaker wires.
If you are running 4 subs off an amp, I'm pretty sure you are going to want to put some juice to the rest of the system. Your head unit should have probably 2 or 3 sets of rca ouputs (4 or 6 channel). You most likely want to get an amp for your non-sub speakers. Connect a second amp with RCA cables through the front channel, unless you really plan on only adding subs. Your factory speakers will sound better getting 50w per channel (which is almost guaranteed an improvement from what ever your factory setup is). I just cant imagine in any way that if you add 4 subs, it wouldn't completely drown out 4 factory speakers running off 50w.

The big 3, yes, do it. It will "open up"/help your entire electrical system.
OK so it doesn't matter if my subs are wired to 1 ohm tho correct?

When your manual says not to wire it to 1 or 3 ohm, that is referring to speakers wired up to your head unit's power/speaker connections running through the harness.

If your amp can be wired to 1 ohm stable, and your subs are DVC 2 ohm per coil, or 4 ohm SVC subs, then you will be able to wire to 1 ohm. If your amp is connected through RCA cables, they are getting a signal to the amp, then the amp is sending power. However you then wire them, they will only have to be compatible from subs to amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.