Pioneer GM-D8604 Amp Dyno

I've known Pioneer to have the 9601 and 8601 for a long time. I don't believe it is a phase out of the "8" series.
That seems to settle the debate then. They must be different in some way, however small that may be. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense for two identical amplifiers to exist along side each other carrying different part numbers.

That seems to settle the debate then. They must be different in some way, however small that may be. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense for two identical amplifiers to exist along side each other carrying different part numbers.
They are different. But the 9604 is a non US version. Pioneer has a bunch of international stuff that I wish was sold here.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/GM-D8601_OwnersManual062716.pdf

The answer is right there in the owners manual. the 8601 is a rated 800rms@1 ohm and the 9601 is rated 1200@1 ohm, the sizes are also different, the 9601 being larger and weighing 1.3lbs more.

They are 2 different amps but they make similar power.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/GM-D8601_OwnersManual062716.pdf
The answer is right there in the owners manual. the 8601 is a rated 800rms@1 ohm and the 9601 is rated 1200@1 ohm, the sizes are also different, the 9601 being larger and weighing 1.3lbs more.

They are 2 different amps but they make similar power.
Yep. That one's clear, bud. I'm fishing for what the actual difference may be between the 8604 vs. 9604. I probably created some confusion with my extra babble about the differences between the 8601 vs. 9601, my fault.

Yep. That one's clear, bud. I'm fishing for what the actual difference may be between the 8604 vs. 9604. I probably created some confusion with my extra babble about the differences between the 8601 vs. 9601, my fault.
Basically the same observations apply after comparing owners manuals. The 9604 is rated for more power, has more fusing, is bigger and weighs more and has the bass boost remote control plug in jack.

Basically the same observations apply after comparing owners manuals. The 9604 is rated for more power, has more fusing, is bigger and weighs more and has the bass boost remote control plug in jack.
I'm with you there, too. It looks like gramps could be right. Only way to know for sure would be to crack 'em open and test 'em.

Did you guys notice the hellacious price difference to I don't think the 9604 can really be considered a budget amp at well over $300 but the 8604 seems to be very nice budget amp which is exactly what I'm looking for for mids and highs something that can run 2 ohms per Channel and put out at least 500 watts per Channel x 2 channels for my mids in that is bare-bones minimum power wise need the same thing for my tweeters but with 250 Watts per Channel x 2 channels being bare-bones minimum so the only options are one extremely large 4-channel with tons of Headroom on the Tweeter side or two two channels which there does not seem to be a very great selection on class D 2-channel Mini amps to 8604 seems to fit the bill pretty well since it can be bridged into two channels at 2 ohms was hoping to get a little more power to my mids but the price point 8604 seems to be unbeatable was hoping the 9604 would be the answer but not for that kind of money

Maybe the 9604 has things like Burr Brown opamps/DACs, better caps, better transistors. Who knows.

Wonder if it compares to the PRS-A900. Doubt it but that would be cool.

Maybe the 9604 has things like Burr Brown opamps/DACs, better caps, better transistors. Who knows.
Wonder if it compares to the PRS-A900. Doubt it but that would be cool.
As mentioned the 9604 appears to be an international only amp, which would explain the higher pricing as it would be a gray market import.

As mentioned the 9604 appears to be an international only amp, which would explain the higher pricing as it would be a gray market import.
Yep, gotcha. But why is it bigger?
If we follow the same logic used to point out the diferences between the 8601 & 9601 (one is bigger, has more parts inside, puts out more power) then it would stand to reason that the same is true for the 9604. Regardless of whether or not it was only available overseas.

Anybody picking up what I'm laying down? I don't think they are the same and I don't think one is expensive just because it's marketed elsewhere. In all likelihood, it's better in some way.

Thanks for the dynos on these, I had been looking for a video on one for a while. I am a really big fan of these amps. I have the 8601 running at 1 ohm and it never gets hot. I will be picking up the 8604 soon.

Yep, gotcha. But why is it bigger?
If we follow the same logic used to point out the diferences between the 8601 & 9601 (one is bigger, has more parts inside, puts out more power) then it would stand to reason that the same is true for the 9604. Regardless of whether or not it was only available overseas.

Anybody picking up what I'm laying down? I don't think they are the same and I don't think one is expensive just because it's marketed elsewhere. In all likelihood, it's better in some way.
I don't believe it is the same amp either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.