Pioneer GM-D8604 Amp Dyno

Amp will be here today. I will be using the amp as a 2 channel to power a set of comps. Looking at the Two channel stereo wiring diagram in the manual it shows to use A and B wire inputs for two speakers. Couldn’t I just use one or the other?

I recently installed one of these powering my CDT HD-642 Gold 3 way components and they sound absolutely amazing. I set the gain using my multi-meter and its not even at the 1/4 turn and it gets extremely loud with zero distortion.

My gain is set to normal and seems I can go even higher. Manual says set to H for 4v and to Normal for 500mv. My Kenwood KDC-x597 is 4v but at 26/35 volume it must only make 1v-2v for my gain to be set that high.

My only gripes are the slot in the gain knob should be cut deeper to prevent stripping and the wire holes face downward rather than straight out

I might add the GM-D9601 in the future to power my TS-W3003D4

My gain is set to normal and seems I can go even higher. Manual says set to H for 4v and to Normal for 500mv. My Kenwood KDC-x597 is 4v but at 26/35 volume it must only make 1v-2v for my gain to be set that high.
My only gripes are the slot in the gain knob should be cut deeper to prevent stripping and the wire holes face downward rather than straight out

I might add the GM-D9601 in the future to power my TS-W3003D4
Yep I hate the downard facing terminals. Also your 4V deck probably only produces 4V at 33 out of 35, that's normal.

Do Kenwood clip at 33/35 or still clean? I did 26/35 just because everyone says to adjust 3/4 up when setting gains.
most of the modern head units go up to 90/95% clean. some 100% is fine. The 3/4 claim is pretty outdated. Literally just pigeonholing yourself to just 1.7 volts out of 4 volt pre-outs.

most of the modern head units go up to 90/95% clean. some 100% is fine. The 3/4 claim is pretty outdated. Literally just pigeonholing yourself to just 1.7 volts out of 4 volt pre-outs.
Not saying you're wrong, but my Pioneer dd puts out 4 volts at 30/40 volume, and it's rated 4v. Not actually sure what's up with that...

Not saying you're wrong, but my Pioneer dd puts out 4 volts at 30/40 volume, and it's rated 4v. Not actually sure what's up with that...
that 1.7 volts is pretty consistent through 4 recent head units i've installed for people at 3/4 volume. Yours might be underrated who knows or maybe some audio setting is off.

that 1.7 volts is pretty consistent through 4 recent head units i've installed for people at 3/4 volume. Yours might be underrated who knows or maybe some audio setting is off.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif No clue. The next one I'm putting in is also a 4 volt 6 channel pioneer, so I'll get to do a little consistency testing.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif No clue. The next one I'm putting in is also a 4 volt 6 channel pioneer, so I'll get to do a little consistency testing.
cscstang's pioneer 2800bs and my other buddy's x491bhs all test 4.2 clean volts at 40/40 and maxed sub level at -5 db test tones. Anything less gets much less pre-out voltage.

Somewhere, be it the radio or a master control knob from a DSP, you need to have a little overhead left for those tracks/songs that are recorded at lower than normal levels, otherwise you just have to settle that you'll have some tracks that you never get to hear at high volumes. Most radio's use class-D amplification these days, and most are pretty clean near max volume, so for me, adjusting at 75% is just a way to ensure you have overhead available.

cscstang's pioneer 2800bs and my other buddy's x491bhs all test 4.2 clean volts at 40/40 and maxed sub level at -5 db test tones. Anything less gets much less pre-out voltage.
That's what it was, then. I was measuring that voltage on pure test tones.

Why do you use -5?
have you ever analyzed your music? most rap and hip hop music is around -5. pop music is around -12 to -7 EDM around -10 to -5. There is no music out there that has 0 db levels of anything in the recording. You are literally pigeonholing yourself out of proper pre-out signal and overall output if you set your stuff with a 0 db test tone which is completely wrong. Only instance when its okay to do so is when you have a bunch of re-bassed music artists that red line it with -3 to -1 db levels of bass.

here's an analyzed spectrum of a random mainstream song. the song is loudest at 49hz at -6.9 db levels. Means even if you set your gains with a - 5 db test tone, you are are still missing out on a lot of output. about 1.9 dbs worth. Now imagine doing it with a 0 db test tone. You literally missed out on 7 dbs worth of bass.

pE6qvP.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.