Pioneer 80PRS worked... but now no sound. Help?

RuffRhyno

I installed the head unit and all new speakers/amp/sub into a car starting about 5 days ago. I don't drive the car daily, so I had time to do things right by pulling up the carpet and removing interior panels for wire routing.

Anyway, installed the head unit on the first day. Just finished with the tweeters today. The speakers and head unit have been working since I put it in. I was messing around with the settings on the head unit a bit, trying to figure out how to get the auto-tune EQ to work. I was getting a Mic Error, so I thought it might have to do with the mic wire being plugged into the rear jack instead of the front AUX, so I removed the head unit from the dash to get to the rear. I left the keys in the ignition, and the negative battery terminal connected as well. I figured since I wasn't disconnecting any wiring I wouldn't damage anything.

Well, all of a sudden the sound from the speakers just stopped working. And now, no matter what I do I can't get sound to come out of them. I checked the Amp Power signal wire at the head unit and the amp. I checked all other connections, I disconnected and reconnected the battery. I checked the fuse at the battery, the amp, and the head unit. The head unit turns on and functions fine, it plays my CD, it tunes into FM. But, no sound from any speakers.

I tried searching this problem without success. I read something about a PICO fuse issue, but that seems to deal with static/noise in the signal, and on older models. I saw a mention about hot swapping RCAs not being good, but don't know exactly what that would do? Would that kills my sound permanently? I'm new to car audio and this is my first system.

Here are my specs:

'04 Tiburon GT

Polk DB6501 in the front

Kicker KX 600.4 amp

Pioneer 12" sub

All parts are brand new. They worked for days until now.

with the ignition OFF : Unplug the harness from the radio and pull the fuse... Let it sit for awhile unplugged & un-fused. Plug back in your fuse and reconnect the harness with the ignition OFF - Try it and see what happens (I had a friend have this issue with a similar HU and this remedied the problem) If not I'd see about a warranty replacement. For future reference always always always ONLY unplug, plugin, etc'. REAR HU connections with the ignition OFF... Hope this helps

I pulled the harness and fuse this morning before I came to work. I work 12 hours. I will plug them in when I get home to see if that helped. Otherwise, I will try to reset it. Thanks for the responses guys. Does anyone know what happens to the unit if you hot swap RCAs?

It's tough to say... In most cases probably nothing... But think of a guitar amplifier for a second... Would you want to unplug and plug in anything to it with the volume turned up? It creates distortion & feedback, both of which are never a good thing for any amplifier. As I said in most cases nothing will probably happen at all, but with today's complex electronics integrated into our head-units, who knows if every safeguard to prevent any damage was engineered into it's build... Better to be safe than sorry is what I say, just don't do it... On another note - You had mentioned the rear mic input was not plugged in and then you plugged it in while the unit was on? If this is the case I'm thinking this was what may have caused your issues...

Well that's good. I know that plugging and unplugging while the unit has power isn't good, I made the mistake of assuming that I could access the back of the head unit without anything comig loose while it was on.

The microphone issue is a whole different beast I was going to start a new thread about once I got the sound working again. Originally, I plugged the mic into the rear jack, but when I went to auto tune EQ, the display says Mic Err, which means the mic isn't plugged in. After reading the manual, it seems the mic needs to be plugged into the front AUX port, but when I tried the hole was too big for the jack and wouldn't plug in.

Well that's good. I know that plugging and unplugging while the unit has power isn't good, I made the mistake of assuming that I could access the back of the head unit without anything comig loose while it was on.
The microphone issue is a whole different beast I was going to start a new thread about once I got the sound working again. Originally, I plugged the mic into the rear jack, but when I went to auto tune EQ, the display says Mic Err, which means the mic isn't plugged in. After reading the manual, it seems the mic needs to be plugged into the front AUX port, but when I tried the hole was too big for the jack and wouldn't plug in.
Nah the mic plugs in on the back of the unit

I plugged the fuse back into the head unit along with the connector. I held the Reset button with a pen tip on the front of the unit. The sound still won't work. When I have te ignition on, if I hold the head unit's power button to turn it off and then back on again, the speakers make the initial *pop* noise like they are getting power. What do I try now? Since I bought it 2 weeks ago should I just try to get a replacement from Amazon? I'd hate to go through the return process.

I just got my 80prs in today and plugged the mic in the front aux jack and auto EQ TA worked great. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Bluetooth mic in back.

Are the speakers turned off in the crossover section of the unit u can mute the front and back and sub in the sound tuning section. Otherwise trace your rcas in the dash u may have cut them. How are the connections on the harness itself made if they ground out the unit goes into protect and turns off the internal amp. Then again there's also a setting to turn off the internal amp.

Thanks for all the help guys. The semester is finishing up so I don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot between school and work, so I just decided to return it to Amazon before the 30 day window. I also ordered a new one that's coming today. Gotta love prime.

Anyway, will let you guys know how the replacement works.

BTW, as far as the auto tune mic error, I figured out why. I was so excited to get the head unit hooked up I didn't realize there are 2 mica included in the packaging. I had the Bluetooth mic hooked up in the back. That's why it wouldn't detect.

I had credit at Amazon, so I returned and rebought a replacement from them. It came in the mail yesterday, and I hooked it up real quick (without mounting). STILL THE SAME ISSUE, NO SOUND! I re-checked the amp fuses, battery fuse, and head unit fuse. If it's not the head unit, what else could be the culprit?! Does the car have a stock radio fuse that could be at fault?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.