* Pioneer 80PRS Review *

Fellows, admittedly I have been out of the game for quite some time (10 + years to be exact.) Here is what I am contemplating and I will take your honest feedback. Why would I buy the Pioneer 80PRS over the Kenwood Excelon 996? The pioneer does not have HD radio correct, or did I miss it on their site? Also, the Kenwood has a REALLY small Sirius/xm unit to hook up to it and it is less expensive the pioneer units. Can you guys help me figure this out.

So far, here is what I have:

Wife's car:

JL Audio XD400/4

Memphis MClass components up front 6-1/2", and Memphis MClass 6x9's in the back- Stock head unit.

My car only has 2 speakers in it because it is made for speed, not sound, here is where I am at with that:

JL Audio ZR Components

JL Audio 300/4 V1

I need a head unit for both and I am thinking of going Kenwood, but I cannot get over how good this Pioneer unit looks. The Kenwood is also less expensive and comes with HD Radio.

Let me know your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
if ur a heavy sirius user then go with the kenwood...if ur an sq guy who doesnt care about sirus xm then go with 80 prs

and i got it from a dealer on here @mylows10

its honestly not.....that friendly......it took me a good 4 hours to figure out how to set a radio station.....***** there is no paper manual so i had to download it on my phone and just keep it open........once you get the hang of TA tho everything else just falls into place....

make sure on the top of the decks chassis you select NW and L for the rcas
what's the difference in the NW(forget the other selection) on the rca's. Is one for running active and the other not?

Edit: I'm currently not running active, but might in a few months

what's the difference in the NW(forget the other selection) on the rca's. Is one for running active and the other not?
Edit: I'm currently not running active, but might in a few months
ya running NW is the active 3 way mode.....im in standard mode for now because im running passive

also this one the review for april woot

if anyone is interested to know, the deck starts to clip at 55 volume for the subwoofer, when i check for the mids and highs the hu didnt start to clip till like 63.

if anyone is interested to know, the deck starts to clip at 55 volume for the subwoofer, when i check for the mids and highs the hu didnt start to clip till like 63.
thats good to kno i didnt get to scope the rca's yet....thanks for this

thats good to kno i didnt get to scope the rca's yet....thanks for this
Ya i find it kinda wierd that the sub channel starts clippin at 55 and the front and rear channel dont clip until 63. The dd1 says to average out ur sub and font channels unclipped volume, but i just set my amps for 54. Let me know if u have different results when u scope it.

@Imtjnotu

putting mine in tonight.....what is the difference in the L and H rca setting? This manual isn't very clear at all.
Also says to turn off the internal amp if you're not using it. That's necessary? No problem obviously if I have to do it

If ur using amps leave it on L when running speakers off the deck leave it on H

Also I do not know how to turn off the internal amp.... I guess leaving it on L does it automatically

thanks

Just got it in...haven't really had time to mess with it yet, but it already sounds better then what it's replacing. Somehow I changed the language to French so I'll have to reset it probably to get it back to english lol

dummys when you start of the hu it'll let you change your setting as like language, date, internal amp, to update the software. when the HU is OFF press the volume knob itll take you there after like 5sec or so @bhsdriller

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Imtjnotu

5,000+ posts
Me Gusta Edition
Imtjnotu
San Diego CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies