* Pioneer 80PRS Review *

Imtjnotu
5,000+ posts

Me Gusta Edition
San Diego CA
Review of Head Unit:

WALL OF TEXT

This is my somewhat early review of the 80prs....for this review im going to be putting it up against my old Alpine 9887...

i have only had the deck for a few days now but i can tell u there are noticeable differences in both SQ and Features.

Looks

The Deck is **** looking...very sleek and plain up front. not over done with a bunch of buttons. the buttons feel good and the track skip dial is easy to use. so if ur not looking while driving u wont be pressing the wrong thing changing songs...there are also many color options for both the keys and background which gives it a good look.

its also very easy to remove and insert the face plate compared to my 9887....just push eject and pull out no need to pull to the side and when putting it back in u just press it in straight...no lining up the gears and holes on one side ....just line the hole piece up with the trim and with both hands push back

the only main issue i did have with the lack of buttons was changing radio stations. there is no 1-6 for presets. there is a quick change button but it only remembers ur last 3 used stations. if you want ur full list of stations you have to push the search button and that brings up ur presets.....not a bad thing but not a good quick one...

DEH-80PRS_angle.jpg

looks 8/10

Features

this is where the some comparison to the 9887 takes effect.

the 80PRS has so many features built in for connectivity...yes i kno the 9887 released 5 years ago but the fact i had to buy an addon just to use usb/ Bluetooth/ ipod/ auxiliary/ i wasnt that happy. the addons you have to buy were all over priced even for today.

the 80PRS comes with built in SD Card support, Bluetooth calling and streaming, Dual USB inputs, auxiliary input and a 3.5mm input on the front of the device.....this thing is loaded.

USB support is fast no lag like i had with my Eclipse 7100. and the lack of items on my 9887 is miles and miles behind due to its age. the 9887 cant even directly compare. all i could ever do with my 9887 was CD's....even the ipod control was hard to navigate at times

the bluetooth streaming is a breeze to set up and easy to use...you can control your pandora and track skipping all on the deck itself with out ever having to touch the phone. yes you need to go into the phone to open pandora but thats easy after that its all deck control

the sound quality from the bluetooth is really great. only thing that lacks is Pandora sound quality.

also the blue tooth calling is very clear and have no issues of being heard

features 10/10

Sound Quality

now for the main focus of all of this.....the ESSS QUEESS....the only real part people want to kno

i myself love a warm sounding front stage..i cant do bright and have never liked the sound of bright

one thing i notices with my 9887 was that it could be a little too bright even after messing with the EQ....mid bass for me also seemed to lack even on just a 6db slope..i found my self leaving it in flat more just to pick up the midbass on my fronts.......this is one Area where i noticed right away that the Pioneer didnt lack in....on my 18db slope now the midbass is rich and not lacking... my Clarus C61-2 seemed to wake up and didnt lack any low end extension even down to 50hz with out distortion....

the time alignment also allows you to set your tweets TA and your mids TA... the Auto EQ also came in handy but i found myself taking those settings and setting them up my way. the 16 Band EQ was also very easy to use and gave my mid range an over all boost compared to the 9887.

once TA was set up with my EQ and Crossover my Hats seemed to be Alive. they kept up with every type of song i could throw at them. all my dubstep rap jazz and house sounded clean and amazing.

i cant speak for subs yet as i wont have them installed till tomorrow but i will be updating with how the bass is now..

Sound Quality 9/10

final note is that my Apline 9887 never did this for me....it could always keep up but it was more bright and lacking in everything else.....

i recommend this deck to anyone looking to upgrade or on the fence whether to get it or not DO IT...you seriously wont be disappointed

Once you said looks 8/10, I stopped reading...Only better looking deck is the 99PRS.
and that is why i gave it that.....the 99prs was the most gorgeous i have ever seen and to me is the only deck i would give a 10/10 on looks

and that is why i gave it that.....the 99prs was the most gorgeous i have ever seen and to me is the only deck i would give a 10/10 on looks
So I would believe the 80 should receive a 9/10.

Regardless, I will not read your review because I want one so bad! Lol.

So I would believe the 80 should receive a 9/10. Regardless, I will not read your review because I want one so bad! Lol.
haha get one dom....and i just kinda missed the preset buttons that was my only gripes with the looks....still the thing is sexier then any other deck i have ever done

waits for Dragon to come in here rip my review apart and say how the 9887 is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

waits for Dragon to come in here rip my review apart and say how the 9887 is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif
only because he doesn't have one, but he wants one . go figure huh!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Imtjnotu

5,000+ posts
Me Gusta Edition
Imtjnotu
San Diego CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies