*PICS* 15 cuft @ 28.5hz for (2) RE MT 18's

SHiZNiLTi
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
*Build Log 15 cuft @ 28.5hz with 200sq.in. of port area for (2) RE MT 18's*

I started on the wall/box for the MT 18's and decided to post up a build log. I will have the box finished and a video made by this weekend.

To start off here's a sketchup video of the conept design of what the final project will eventually look like....

Took 3 sheets of MDF for this build...

2partsmy4.jpg

Making good use of my new clamps...

topjz4.jpg

Rounded Port...

groundshotae6.jpg

It's huge 37.5" x 32.75"...

dimstg7.jpg

Decided to not use dowels, once finished I'll have front, back and side to side bracing, if thats not enough I'll install some allthread too...

topbracingmv2.jpg

The Test Fit, its upside down in this pic and and also is facing the wrong way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif ...

justfitsmy3.jpg

As of right now the box is a square, but later on down the road I will cut the rear corner and place an angled piece of mdf there to match the slope of the rear window. When this is finished I can push the box all the way back to the rear hatch/window allowing me to use my back seats.

When I cut the box corner down and angle it I will lose 2 cuft bringing the box to 13 cuft and tuning will go up to 31hz. It will be interesting to see the difference between 15cubes @ 28.5hz and 13 cubes @ 31hz.

Friday night I will finish the double baffle, finish up the bracing and then flush mount the subs.

That's insane. Looks like a solid build though! Is this for daily driving?
Yep this is a daily driver, thats why I tuned soo low, hopefully it moves alot of air //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Nice work, im lovin the slanted back to go with your slanted trunk. Im assuming this is going in your blazer?

Nice vid. nice choice of an ending. heh.

Well, got the build finished and installed in my ride, but only (1) subs works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. No worries though because the MT's were shipped to me with a free recone. Even with only one 18 working @ 2ohms and getting about 2850rms it freaking sounds amazing.

I've never attempted a recone so I'll sudy a few guides. I think nG even has one with a MT 18.

While I'm doing the recone I will drop in the other working 18 into my 18" BTL's old 7cuft @ 32hz with 100sq.in. of port enclosure and see how the MT stands up to the BTL. Even though the BTL had 3800rms on it @ 1ohm and this MT will only have 2850rms @ 2 ohm it will still be interesting to see the difference in the same box.

I will post some results.

Well, got the build finished and installed in my ride, but only (1) subs works //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. No worries though because the MT's were shipped to me with a free recone. Even with only one 18 working @ 2ohms and getting about 2850rms it freaking sounds amazing.
I've never attempted a recone so I'll sudy a few guides. I think nG even has one with a MT 18.

While I'm doing the recone I will drop in the other working 18 into my 18" BTL's old 7cuft @ 32hz with 100sq.in. of port enclosure and see how the MT stands up to the BTL. Even though the BTL had 3800rms on it @ 1ohm and this MT will only have 2850rms @ 2 ohm it will still be interesting to see the difference in the same box.

I will post some results.
Wow that sounds like a great test...

My prediction is the lows will be much louder on the BTL (in the same box)...do you have an SPL meter?

It would be interesting to see which 1 peaks at what frequency...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.