Physically smaller alternator???

My63bug

Senior VIP Member
So I'm looking for a second alternator for my bug. I have a 90 amp alternator. And that is the biggest alternator that you can find for a Volkswagen airkewld. I can't find anybody that makes a higher output alternator. So I'm looking to mount a second alternator. But I need to find something with a higher output that's physically small so I can fit it. Anybody know of any vehicles that Come with a physically smaller alternator. I found a few mini alternators online. But I can't find anything over 70 amps. If I'm going to go through the trouble of fabbing up brackets to mount another alternator. I want as many amps as I can get.

Have you tried calling HO alternator companies or are you going off of them not showing one for your car on their site? I would message Nathan Peddicord and see what he can do.

I've called 2 places. And messaged a few others. that were recommended to me. In the last year. It's a very common mass-produced alternator.. if it could be done they would be available. A stock alternator is like 55 amps and high output alternators are 75 and 90 AMP. Nothing higher. There's got to be some physical reason it can't be done

I've called 2 places. And messaged a few others. that were recommended to me. In the last year. It's a very common mass-produced alternator.. if it could be done they would be available. A stock alternator is like 55 amps and high output alternators are 75 and 90 AMP. Nothing higher. There's got to be some physical reason it can't be done
If you haven't already, message Custom Electric Services on Facebook.

The alt they gave me wasn't really made for my vehicle, they made brackets for the alt. Bolted in no problem.

Don't you have the older style with motor in the trunk?
If you do you have enough space to take the main alt out and put a gm large case with a modified bracket and larger belt then factory size.

Run it on a external regulator.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Don't you have the older style with motor in the trunk?
If you do you have enough space to take the main alt out and put a gm large case with a modified bracket and larger belt then factory size.

Run it on a external regulator.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
The back of the stock alternator has a post that comes out that turns the fan that cools the motor. I found a mini 90 amp alternator that I think I can fit, that will at least double my amperage

7B46J

The back of the stock alternator has a post that comes out that turns the fan that cools the motor. I found a mini 90 amp alternator that I think I can fit, that will at least double my amperage
7B46J
Remeber old bugs used to have AC as an option and they just added a compressor next to fan shroud and a double pully and I think it would be easy to make a bracket to add another alt. If memory serves me (it probably dont lol !) i think was on the left side of motor ? Ahh it was

I used to be a big time VW guy back in the car show days lol ! Investigate stock mounting hardware and adapt it to alt. most were on super beetles if that helps. If huge azz link dont work google vw a/c images.

Forgot the original intent was to say that it looks like you could fit even large body (case ) GM 270 in there but there are smaller case options too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot the original intent was to say that it looks like you could fit even large body (case ) GM 270 in there but there are smaller case options too.
Yeah I could fit a larger one on top. But I'd have to get rid of the Dual carbs. Cuz the linkage would be in the way. And I'm not doing that. I think 180 amps will be good for a few thousand Watts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.