Phoenix Gold Ti6 Titanium Elite Midrange speakers looking for input

jonesy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Has anyone had any experience with these mids? I just bought them from woofersect.com and i was looking for some reviews on them and didn't find too many! So i am looking for input from people that have used them or have heard them.....what do you think of them!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Phoenix Gold Ti6 Titanium Elite Midrange speakers

Description:

The Titanium Elite midranges are hand-made by Morel Israel. All parts are engineered to deliver the finest audio fidelity available in a vehicle today. The inner radial design allows the voice coil to reside outside of the magnet, this leads to superior linear excursion and higher efficiency. Only the highest quality components are used to build this driver to ensure exacting musical reproduction. WoofersEtc. recently bought out Phoenix Gold's excess inventory of these drivers at an amazing price, which allows for this incredible deal.

Features:

# 300 watts RMS power handling

# Ultra-thin mounting depth

# 3 inch multi-layer voice coil

# Solid one piece polypropylene cone/dust cap assembly

# FEA optimized inner-radial neodymium motor structure

# Custom cast aluminum basket

# Midrange Sensitivity 89dB (1w/1m)

# Audiophile components: air core inductors/composite bypassed capacitors

# Includes pair of 6.5" mids

# Midrange Mounting Depth: 2.2"

# Midrange Mounting Diameter: 5.5 - 6.0"

# Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz

# Nominal impedance: 4 Ohms

# Acoustic Crossover Slopes: 24dB per Octave

# SPL: 90.9dB

6218.jpg

timidsdg8.jpg

101.jpg

Those are the same drivers that come in the Elite 6 comps and higher end Morel comps. Great sounding drivers, very detailed and take butt loads of power with no problems. They are strict midrange and not a midrange/ midbass driver.

They prefer sealed enclosures too. I have a set of the Ti6 Elites. I was using them, but put them away for collectors purposes. They are a midrange marvel, but their weakness is that their midbass isn't as strong as most would like, but def. good speakers.

They're designed to be the Morel Elates counterpart. It's basically a Morel Elate w/a different basket.

Its kinda sad to see Pg go from insanely quality products like the TI's products made in Israel by Morel to the Chinese made RSD stuff.

I have them..eghhhmm. Had them, or still do less the x-over. I'm looking for another crossover if anyone knows but in looking back I would have went somewhere else. But, I'm already invested.

Comparing these to my JL ZRs and Bostons set they have their own brand signature sound; I don't care for that. They don't project the music in an unbiased manner without injection of their own signature which was harsher than some of the other sets I've used over the years.

Let me caveat that by saying I probably purchased them for the same reason you're looking into them - lots of others recommended them.

I have them..eghhhmm. Had them, or still do less the x-over. I'm looking for another crossover if anyone knows but in looking back I would have went somewhere else. But, I'm already invested.
Comparing these to my JL ZRs and Bostons set they have their own brand signature sound; I don't care for that. They don't project the music in an unbiased manner without injection of their own signature which was harsher than some of the other sets I've used over the years.

Let me caveat that by saying I probably purchased them for the same reason you're looking into them - lots of others recommended them.
And the English translation to all that was??

And the English translation to all that was??
Why the drama on the forum?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif And, check it out now you have 42 posts!

If you're challenged that most drivers introduce their own sound into the recording then I'm sure there's a nice Pyle amp and Pyramid 6 x 9 out there for you.

Here's a good place to start: check out a JBL (home or concert) and Quartz mobile driver and see if you can pickup on a highly metalic and overly boosted tweeter.

BUt for your edification, I'd take a pass on the speaker and I'm sure certainly that many others would not.

For me, this is where this conversation ends.

NOT for door use. They are specifically geared to be used in compact, sealed (or ported) kick panels/enclosures. They have a high Qts, and frequency response rolls off by around 150Hz in a free air (door) install. In their appropriate kick panels, this extends down to just 100Hz. Excursion is very low on these woofers, only 3mm xmax, about 6-7mm xmech. You run out very quick at relatively low volumes and low wattage (like 20w rms) if you don't run a high high pass filter (x-over should be set to 125Hz-150Hz on these things to support remotely close to 300w rms).

Run them in their appropriate enclosure or they ****. That's all there is to it. A door install is far from ideal, and it will force you to cross the woofer very high at around 125Hz to 150Hz. This is fine if you support the woofer with a sub that's capable of very cleanly playing this high. Pair the woofers with a Dayton Reference 12" HF sub, and you'll be quite happy up at around 125Hz to 150Hz. The sub works awesome up that high, and the woofers are very competent down to that frequency. You pair these mid woofers with a sub much less capable, like a PG RSD 12", you will fail horribly. The sub will be incapable of cleanly playing high enough and the mid will be incapable fo cleanly playing low enough.

Spray a little WD-40 on the screw terminals. For some reason, they like to rust(despite being gold plated). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Same with the 3 little screws on the back plate.

I'll say I've used a lot of woofers I much preferred over the Ti Elite 6 woofer, both for capability and ease of use. When used right, the Ti Elite 6 can be an awesome woofer. When used wrong, it's a fish out of water and will fail quite readily.

I'll agree w/most of what mvw2 said except.... the 100-150 cut off.

They are a mid range marvel, but lack in the midbass region. I played mine in a .07 sealed pod and xed them over at 63Hz/24dB/Oct. They will do a good job reproducing anything you throw at them. I'm a metal person overall and playing Korn, Chimaira, Killswitch Engage, ..... They played the low notes w/ease w/o distortion.

I was giving them 200 wrms (per side) off of a PG ZPA0.3 and then later went active on them at 75 wrms per tweet and 100 wrms per mid off of a PG ZX450v2. The ONLY reasons I don't use them now is 1) 3-way front end and 2) I wanted to put them up and keep them as collectibles.

You can't just look at the XMAX a say they can/can't play low or low enough. There's other things you have to consider all as a whole.

NOT for door use. They are specifically geared to be used in compact, sealed (or ported) kick panels/enclosures. They have a high Qts, and frequency response rolls off by around 150Hz in a free air (door) install. In their appropriate kick panels, this extends down to just 100Hz. Excursion is very low on these woofers, only 3mm xmax, about 6-7mm xmech. You run out very quick at relatively low volumes and low wattage (like 20w rms) if you don't run a high high pass filter (x-over should be set to 125Hz-150Hz on these things to support remotely close to 300w rms).
Run them in their appropriate enclosure or they ****. That's all there is to it. A door install is far from ideal, and it will force you to cross the woofer very high at around 125Hz to 150Hz. This is fine if you support the woofer with a sub that's capable of very cleanly playing this high. Pair the woofers with a Dayton Reference 12" HF sub, and you'll be quite happy up at around 125Hz to 150Hz. The sub works awesome up that high, and the woofers are very competent down to that frequency. You pair these mid woofers with a sub much less capable, like a PG RSD 12", you will fail horribly. The sub will be incapable of cleanly playing high enough and the mid will be incapable fo cleanly playing low enough.

Spray a little WD-40 on the screw terminals. For some reason, they like to rust(despite being gold plated). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Same with the 3 little screws on the back plate.

I'll say I've used a lot of woofers I much preferred over the Ti Elite 6 woofer, both for capability and ease of use. When used right, the Ti Elite 6 can be an awesome woofer. When used wrong, it's a fish out of water and will fail quite readily.

I wonder if that wasn't my problem for not likeing them. There was a lot of good hype when i bought them but I never had anyone indicate they need an enclosure. How much volume do you suggest? They were in a kick pod next to the dead pedal but the space wasn't much larger than speaker. Get back to me I'm curious to give them another go. thanks!

... I wanted to put them up and keep them as collectibles.

So would you like to buy mine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have them as well, I did not think they are as great as the hype..I had them running thru the ti xover off a memphis pr200, First the tweeters blew, got them replaced thru PG, they blew again in like a week, So I replaced them with some Boston tweets..Over a year now, same amp and xover, no problems. Next was the rubber surround. It came loose and started to separate. I had to CA it back on...These were getting only 100 watts a set, amp set to High pass. Ive since taken them out and am contemplating what to do with them...

When they were installed, they sounded a little flat to my liking...

So overall..if installed correctly, they are a decent driver.. But i wouldnt feed them anyway near the 300 watts they claim. I had them on 300 and they were not happy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.