Pdx f4 amp easy protect mode after new type-r’s

Participant count
  • Participant list

Graves

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I love my system, I’ve had my alpine ida-x305s with pxa-h100 dsp and pdx f4 amp for a while, They have seen many cars and many speakers over the years. (Alpine mrv-1505 and IDMAX sub in case you were wondering)

so I had a set of image dynamics ctx 6x9 coaxials that i lost the tweeters on (bad Ipod cable, oops)

and I picked up some new alpine 6x9s r-s69.2 and a pair r-s65c.2 component set for the front.

i put the 6x9’s in first because they were quick and easy to drop in and then my amp would go into protect mode rather easy... sure I was playing them a little louder than the average person but I had the gains set lower than i normally would (1/4 turn, half “NOM”)

so I checked the speakers, they sound fine, ohm’s read 3.1 on both but the box does say “4 ohm 3.1 DCR)

I checked the easy to see short lengths to them, look fine.
did process of elimination swapped rca’s with the front run, switched from Chan 3/4 to Chan 1/2 and no matter what channel or even with only one speaker hooked up.if it is one of those 6x9s certain parts of certain songs will send it in protect mode.

it will do it if I am playing Bluetooth or iPod cable on the same. (Certain points of certain songs)

i would wonder if I was sending in clipped audio but it’s my understanding the DSP doesn’t clip even at full volume.

I checked the output on the amp with a 0db tone and even with the gains at min it was a little higher than my target. Need the deck at -5db to not be over 100 watts RMS.... that may have been because I was calculating for a 3 ohm load as opposed to my usual 4 ohm per channel.

i was nervous but I went ahead and installed the front components and those are just fine, they never cause my amp to cut out and I can turn them up and they sound much much clearer... I wasn’t too worried about the 6x9s being muddier being in the back.

if someone else was asking this question I’d think speaker short, wire short, or clipping head unit or gains set too high but the only thing that has changed is the speakers that are new and it doesn’t matter what one and no matter what I change the common denominator is any one of the new 6x9s.

my working theory is that being a “digital amp” and while being 2 or 4 ohm stable it doesn’t like seeing a 3.1 ohm speaker where as most amps wouldn’t care? That could be a possibility except why do the similar new component set not cause the amp problems when playing at rated spec

i Double checked ground, voltage drop etc but the fact remains I can throw various other the Same setup with the same wires and send the PLENTY of power with out protect mode. I want to say the birth sheet was like 115rms if I remember right.

I did buy them from an authorized alpine dealer but the old asian guy is kinda rude and short with people so I wanna make sure all my ducks are in order before I really start asking questions.

so what could it be about this combination causing so much problems. I’ve actually seen another older thread and someone had the same issues with this amp and 6x9 type-r

am I missing something? If I was using a -10db test tone I could understand but I would think I should have head room not that I should go into protect mode when playing at rated spec and comfortable volume levels for me.

i can’t even think it is a manufacturing Defect when with either one will cause it at the same spots of certain songs. I listen to Apple Music either on bluetooth or iPod connection.

Okay, made some progress,!

pretty much had it troubleshooted to the speakers, raising the crossover point had not helped and I was about to add a tweeter in series to see if the amp would be happier with more Impedance.
But I got the idea to put a low bass filter on, they have a high pass filter on the deck at 63hz so I put the low pass setting on my amp to its highest setting 400hz and now I can send them plenty of power with out them cutting out.

seeing this success, I switched to three way active and set the coaxial 6x9’s to 63hz low and tested the top cut.

if I allow anything higher than 5khz through they cause the amp to go into protect mode, now that it doesn’t ive brought that gain up and I can play as loud as I like without protect mode.

i think I will just leave it like this... what do you folks think of the crossover points on these speakers they say frequency response is 65hz so i selected the 63hz crossover point but u have my IDMAX crossed at 80hz. should I bring it up to 80hz?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.