Parallel wiring...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beast1284
10+ year member

I have a Kicker IX404 that I am going to be running to an Alpine 10" TypeR 4 ohm dual voice coil. The amp is a 4 channel, but is bridged into 120W x 2 channels @ 4 ohms. If I wired these in parallel, and it was running at 2 ohms, would I effectively be pushing 240W per channel? If this is correct, would this seriously damage the amplifier? Thanks.

Unless the amp is bridgable down to one channel NO, this Would Destroy The amp

And that set-up may damage the amplifier. Most amps aren't 2-ohm stable bridged.

If this is the only amp you have access to then wire it this way.

Voice coil 1: Wired to channels 1&2 bridged

Voice Coil 2: Wired to channels 3&4 bridged

This way each coil will be getting 120 watts, and the Sub altogether would be getting the 240.

Originally posted by Steven Unless the amp is bridgable down to one channel NO, this Would Destroy The amp

And that set-up may damage the amplifier. Most amps aren't 2-ohm stable bridged.

If this is the only amp you have access to then wire it this way.

Voice coil 1: Wired to channels 1&2 bridged

Voice Coil 2: Wired to channels 3&4 bridged

This way each coil will be getting 120 watts, and the Sub altogether would be getting the 240.
If you wire it like this you will persent different signals to each coil because your still presenting the amp with left/right signals and keeping the amp running in stereo. (Left signal to one coil and the right signal to the other coil.) This will sound like crap and eventually blow your speaker.

You could, however, try splitting ONE set of RCA's going into the amp. This way you would get the same signals. You would be splitting the right or left channel into two to give you two sets of + and - for that respective channel.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yes He would have to use Y adapters to make sure that both coils get the same signal - I always seem to forget this part oops:rolleyes:

Well as a little experiment I tried wiring into down to one channel bridged, and the amp shut itself off immediately, so I'm guessing its not stable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.