Outdoor box suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

LittleRed66

I coach girls softball and am building a "jam" box to take to our games. I'm trying to stay as inexpensive as possible. I've built a box with the cubic ft recommendation of the manufacturer of the two 500w 12's I'm using. In reading some posts it appeared a ported box would be the way to go for playing outdoors. I'm looking to get sold bass (who isn't) with good mid and high sound. My plan is to face the speakers and port downward (box will have casters for rolling around) and will be approximately 5" from the ground. I'm not beyond the point of no return as i have only built the box and have not cut any holes. My question is a multi point question.

A) Is ported the way to go? Is facing it downward a good move or bad? I have a ported 8" sub in my home stereo that faces downward and the port is facing outward and it sounds awesome. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

B) I have a couple of 6x9's and 4, 5 1/2's at the ready for my mids and highs. I'm going to build a box to fit on top of the sub box for these. Should i enclose the 6x9's or would ported/band pass work? I have a 42x15 foundation to build on so space is not an issue. Just trying to stay as light as possible as I'm using 3/4 MDF and we have to lift this sucker in and out of the back of a Tahoe or pickup.

My aim is to get quality sound/bass in an open environment. The makeshift box I'm using now is sealed and no matter what hz I'm set at the bass and mids are awful. The kids don't care but i know i can do much better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.