Orion HCCA 5k impedance/issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

metalheadjoe
10+ year member

Unapologetic prick
ND
Questions regarding my Orion HCCA5000.1dv2:

1) I can't get rid of the "turn-on pop". My ground is solid as it can be. The amp is connected directly to the negative terminal of the rear battery. The under-hood battery is electrically removed and exists only as a junction point for the rest of the electrical system.
2) Yesterday the amp was making the subs buzz with no signal. The buzz was proportional to the gain. I can't replicate the problem today, but is there anything obvious I can test/measure that might cause the issue?
3) Output is very inconsistent in places where you would expect it to be consistent. I know it could be the song, but it seems strange that the bass-line would change from verse to verse, or even throughout tones. I don't have anything to compare it to stereo-wise. Any idea what might be going on?
4) How low of impedance will this amp hold? I have two D1 subs wired to 1 ohm currently. Can I reliably add a third D1 sub for 0.66 final impedance?

Thanks for your time and wisdom.
- Joe

The turn on pop is your remote wire. If you want that to go away, you need to do a soft turn on 12v signal, where the voltage is more slowly raised to 12v, instead of the amp getting 12v immediately. You could probably wire up a 5 pin relay to get rid of that problem.

What box do you have?

The turn on pop is your remote wire. If you want that to go away, you need to do a soft turn on 12v signal, where the voltage is more slowly raised to 12v, instead of the amp getting 12v immediately. You could probably wire up a 5 pin relay to get rid of that problem.

What box do you have?
Here's the box. I built it to subwoofer spec. Ports are 10"x10" right triangles, ~25.5" deep. Box is 44.5" wide, 17" tall, 25" deep on top slanted to 31" deep at the bottom.

Is soft turn on a function of the amp or the deck? I see my old XTR amp lists soft turn on/off on the box. I can't imagine an HCCA would exclude that feature.

Attachments

• 20210111_172146.jpg
    20210111_172146.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 164
Here's the box. I built it to subwoofer spec. Ports are 10"x10" right triangles, ~25.5" deep. Box is 44.5" wide, 17" tall, 25" deep on top slanted to 31" deep at the bottom.

Is soft turn on a function of the amp or the deck? I see my old XTR amp lists soft turn on/off on the box. I can't imagine an HCCA would exclude that feature.

The radio typically has a soft turn on.

HCCA's have a ton of different box options, in all reality. Those triangle ports are going to be more inefficient, but should work. The outer dimensions doesn't give me much, idk how long the port is or internal bracing.

The box overall seems like it could be big enough. That buzz in your amp sounds like your RCA's are picking up on some signal. Or you amp could be going out, or your RCA's could be pinched. When RCA's pinch or short, they can cause sub buzzing, that's an issue that I had with my HT 8, it would start buzzing in the middle of the night, scaring the sh*t out of me lol, and it was only because my RCA's had a problem.

You may try wiggling your RCA wires slightly, don't wiggle where they're plugged into the amp, but wiggle the wire some right after the male connectors and see if you get a buzz or any input into the amp that makes the subs do something.

HCCA's have a ton of different box options, in all reality. Those triangle ports are going to be more inefficient, but should work. The outer dimensions doesn't give me much, idk how long the port is or internal bracing.
As I mentioned, the ports are 25.5" deep. Subs are Deaf Bonce; amp is Orion HCCA. I went with triangular ports because I thought it would look neat. Deaf Bonce suggests 50 square inches of port area per sub, so 10x10/2. I agree the ports are inefficient. It wasn't until after I built the box that I learned round ports are the way to go because they offer more area with less drag.

Internal bracing is a vertical ~3" length of 3/4" MDF centered between the two subs and a double 3/4" baffle. All other wood is 3/4".

I'll be emailing you Buck. Thanks for feedback.

As I mentioned, the ports are 25.5" deep. Subs are Deaf Bonce; amp is Orion HCCA. I went with triangular ports because I thought it would look neat. Deaf Bonce suggests 50 square inches of port area per sub, so 10x10/2. I agree the ports are inefficient. It wasn't until after I built the box that I learned round ports are the way to go because they offer more area with less drag.

Internal bracing is a vertical ~3" length of 3/4" MDF centered between the two subs and a double 3/4" baffle. All other wood is 3/4".

I'll be emailing you Buck. Thanks for feedback.

No problem. I'm not going to reverse engineer the box that much, and I did get the subs wrong. Idk, I ignore half of manufacturar's advice, especially when it comes to tuning and port area. I do custom designs for a reason, not copy and paste designs, you know? I really tweak the stats of the box to try and make them sound the way that's wanted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.