Opinions on new 12" subwoofer selections

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
So I am going to be upgrading to a set of 12" subwoofers this spring/summer. I have my choices down to 3 options and no I am not going back to American Bass or something like that. I want a upgrade and these will do it.

So I have some choices to make. I am thinking of buying another Cab-22 which are strappable which would then bump up my rms wattage to 4,400 rms at 1ohm. If I do that then I will have to add another battery and switch out the one underneath the hood to a AGM as well. So all that cost adds up.

My Choices are...

Fi Car Audio 12" Xv3's for a cost of 418
DC Level 3 2.1 12" B-Stock for a cost of 450

If I buy a Cab-22 on it's own for 250 I would do then a set of
Fi SSDV4's 12" for 560 total

Or what they call a budget bass package..Sundown 12" SA V2's with a Cab-22 for 680 plus 25 in shipping but as I said if I do that then I add in quite a bit of electrical upgrades in 2 batteries.

Been discussing this with Buck since he is designing the box for it. I am torn on what to do. We both agreed I can't go wrong with anything I choose but I feel like the Fi Xv3's might be the best option but I also know the others will hit good as well.

So just looking for some quick opinions and if anyone has run those subwoofers up above.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Which AB subs do you own now? Once you get into the higher levels they sell as good a product as anything else built in China. Assuming you're already into the higher end 3" coil AB or better you'd do better to beef up your electrical and get a real amp (also assuming you have a solid box built).

Of all the stuff you listed I do not like DC in anything below XL series, and of course be aware that you'll need to wait if you buy from Fi.

I have a real amplifier. That Cab-22 does 2,200 rms at 1ohm and has tested out at 2,450 certified. I have a big 3 kit done already and 250 amp alternator a long time ago. If I do another Cab-22 then I will upgrade to 2/0 from the 1/0 I have now.

Those Cab-22s were done in conjunction with Sundown Audio who beat the crap out of them for months. Apex Car Audio was Car Audio Bargain and they are even coming out with a Cab-45 as well that is testing exactly what they claim by Derrick at Sundown. They are in the same building or right next door to them. I can't remember which it is but they work with them daily.

I am not going back to AB. I have the TNTs now and after talking to a few people they all agreed the others were better choices. Box was designed by Shredder last year and yes it is fine. Even had Buck look at it and he confirmed all the numbers.

Idk why people hate on that Cab-22 when they can't keep them in stock with no issues with them and putting out the numbers they claim and then some. smh

Which AB subs do you own now? Once you get into the higher levels they sell as good a product as anything else built in China. Assuming you're already into the higher end 3" coil AB or better you'd do better to beef up your electrical and get a real amp (also assuming you have a solid box built).

Of all the stuff you listed I do not like DC in anything below XL series, and of course be aware that you'll need to wait if you buy from Fi.

I respectfully disagree. I like like the level 3's. I did a level 3 15 (900w) in 2018 for a good buddy and it sounded really good and played very well. He bought one of my old eD 9.1's and it definitely took some more power than it was rated for, even on high 20's notes.

Looks like they're out of 12s but apex has refurbished

If I do the sundown deal it will be with the cab-22 for 679. Fi was having free shipping up till the other day but now its gone which *****.
Yeah most online distributors eat shipping costs when you're spending hundreds of dollars but not Fi i was going to order to sp4v2 before the dc'd them but shipping was like $125 I think

I am not going back to AB. I have the TNTs now and after talking to a few people they all agreed the others were better choices.
Guess it depends on what exactly do you want ? If you want more motor force and better SQ then a pair of SSA Icons would be a gigantic upgrade on both fronts and is very cost effective (probably the most cost effective upgrade you could do).

TNT is an entry level subwoofer so it wouldn't be hard to get a signficant upgrade over it to be honest (even a more SQ based woofer like the Brahma would be lightyears ahead of it in output and that's not even the focus of that sub)

We looked at the SSA Icons and a done out GCon. But the Gcon motors were screwed up at the factory as SSA and I had been talking back and forth on subwoofers. They said they had to ship every single one back to the manufacture because they were that bad. So it was going to be a 2 month wait on the GCon. Which doesn't bother me. I can't do anything around here anyways till spring time which will be May most likely. Plus I have a DSP to install, sound deaden the front doors, install the 6.5" Daytons or Silverflutes, 1" Alpine tweeters above those in the door panel. Run some new amplifier power wire as well.

The Icon is still in my thoughts. Fi Xv3's were going to be the pick or the SSD4's but with free shipping no longer an option it brings the cost up to what the SSA Icons are now with free shipping. The Xv3's were going to be 418 with the free shipping but now they are over 510. Plus Idk if they will hit me on tax some websites do for Wisconsin some don't.

Either way I got time since I am still waiting on my stimulus check and can't deposit it at least till Tuesday if I get it then. Plus I want to upgrade the battery as well if I do another Cab-22 to strap them up to 4,400 watts and if we do that then I am "thinking" of doing a 4th or 6th order with Buck doing the design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...