Opinions on buying a sub

Sportster
10+ year member

Midwest
New guy here. Am 37, looking for a solid subwoofer to add to a new Hyundai Sonata,mounted in trunk. Probably looking for a 12" to 15" more than likely single subwoofer in a enclosure. Don't want a 'monster' box,just something with tight clean sounding bass. I don't listen to rap so I don't need that ground rumbling boomy bass. I'm more jazz and rock, so I want a sub that can really rock,can get down to 20 or so Hz and can kick me in the back pretty decent. I'm going to have 250watts into it from a JL 500/5 amp. I don't want to spend anymore than probably $250 or so and I DEFINATELY don't want junk;something that colors the music with it's rattles and flopping around. What's a good sub for this,any ideas? I've heard JL subs are good. 'Back in the day' JBL were darned good subs,are they still? There are soo friggin many subs out there, I really haven't got a clue. Is bandpass the way to go? I want the trunk to still BE the trunk;don't want this thing taking all the space. Just a smaller box with lots of punch and control to it. And I've also heard I should vent it into the passenger cabin via the port through the rear deck. Any opinions here? If it HAS a port that is.

I would throw an adire shiva in a sealed enclosure. It sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well. Nice tight bass. The sealed enclosure shouldn't take up your whole trunk. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just my humble opinion.

if you are going sealed anyway...the best idea is to get somewhere like audio plus and listen to a few and see what you like... for the price i think jl are very good and in sealed enclosure should be pretty tight but then again....i do not know about the shiva....

AC

If you don't listen to rap, then why go with such a big sub. I would stick with an 8" or a 10". Larger speakers usually get more SPL than sound quality. I've heard nothing but good things about the sound quality of the Infinity subs. Kappas or Perfects.

The JL's are sold in more places than the Infinity's and will probably do the trick too. Again, I would stick with the smaller subs.

In my last car,I had 2 10" Kickers. They weren't bad,but I'm concerned with the speakers being in a box in the trunk as opposed to mounted in the rear deck,where they were in the other car. Not confident I'd get the same SPL through the back seat as I did the deck. I wasn't seriously thinking 15's,so I don't know why I put that in there. Was thinking more towards 12's,but I guess in the right enclosure and w/the right power it would probably suffice with 10's. I'm also concerned with space. That's the thinking behind a 12" as opposed to 2 10"s. My biggest sound concerns would be the speaker flopping around and coloring the music. I need a sub that won't flop and has good motion for good dynamics. You know how it is....you go to a stereo shop,and some kid that works there says 'Lemme show you these mofo's' and proceeds to make the subs flop and slap and makes them sound like wet dogs flopping around in a puddle, with the surrounds doing all they can to prevent it to no avail. Yea,really makes me wanna buy those! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

lol you a local by where i live? i used to be a rep here in indiana home of the ultra conservitives where just about every shop sells the same thing lol closest memphis dealer to us is in decature and the one i go to is 15 miles across the state line lol

Hey,I checked out those Infinity Perfect 10's. They look like some fine subs. Look like they're built for some serious dynamic action!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I may have to buy a couple of those puppies.:p Best price I've found is $145 on the net. Sound about right?

What were you a rep of,Audio?

Oz audio, US amps, Audio ART christ i have 4 Oz 300ls dvcs new in box if you like great bass sound better than the infinity i might add the subs sold new for 229-249 if you want to try one or 2. 50 bucks each...check your email

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.