Opinions on best car set up..

It is true I've been here for 3 years from the UK and the choices available aren't amazing.
My thought for placement of the sub would be between the middle seats and some drawers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's a good lookin SUV if the pics I just looked at are accurate.

Usually some room in one of those for an enclosure.

I'm kinda lost as to where you are referring to for the enclosure to go... something is lost in translation I think.

Do you mean like these?

ueO2tqr.jpg

That's a good lookin SUV if the pics I just looked at are accurate. Usually some room in one of those for an enclosure.

I'm kinda lost as to where you are referring to for the enclosure to go... something is lost in translation I think.

Do you mean like these?

ueO2tqr.jpg
Yeah it's a **** beast! Exactly right. Basically where the cage is so the drawers would be more shallow and the plan is between the back of the drawers and the 3 seats

Watcha thinkin?... sealed or ported?.. personally I prefer ported... better use of available power and you can tune to taste... wierd spot tho... kinda far forward in the cabin

Thanks beentown.
Will have a nose at all the bits when I get to work. You love that sub?? I listen to alot of electronic music mainly dnb and chilled stuff but do have a fair bit of rock pumping. Wouldn't a 15 be too big?

I have done a few custom boxes back in the day so I'm sure I could whip something up.

by your logic, you are telling me my 18s arent capable of playing rock and metal because they are big? LOL you've been reading the wrong articles. Its all about the enclosure. bigger subs will make rock sound better because it'll be a lot louder overall. Thats the only difference between big and small. Overall output.

by your logic, you are telling me my 18s arent capable of playing rock and metal because they are big? LOL you've been reading the wrong articles. Its all about the enclosure. bigger subs will make rock sound better because it'll be a lot louder overall. Thats the only difference between big and small. Overall output.
From what I've read the smaller, the more punchy and I've read that in loadsa spots.. for drum and bass especially this is better? That's why I'm on here tho to be set straight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You reckon the position isn't the best, further back is better? I've seen a lot of subs built under the middle row seats, that was another thought if it could be done in the patrol.

This is to be "the one" so I wanna get it right

Watcha thinkin?... sealed or ported?.. personally I prefer ported... better use of available power and you can tune to taste... wierd spot tho... kinda far forward in the cabin
Ported seems to be the way. I'm running a ported pre amped ATM but the box is too small so not getting the most out of it.

From what I've read the smaller, the more punchy and I've read that in loadsa spots.. for drum and bass especially this is better? That's why I'm on here tho to be set straight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You reckon the position isn't the best, further back is better? I've seen a lot of subs built under the middle row seats, that was another thought if it could be done in the patrol.

Again, provided you're not dealing with absolute gutter tier woofers, any size driver can sound great so long as you build the correct size box for them. You must decide how much space you have (with a tape measure) and work from there.

That site is about what I expected, either trash or premium priced (and some premium priced trash *cough* *soundstream* *cough*). The Pioneer has some decent items by all accounts, hopefully someone on here chimes in with which of their line is worthwhile. I personally wouldn't touch Rockford's lower line products and I don't think Punch/Power is in your budget.

definitely not the case lol you run into that in any size driver if the specs aren't appropriate for your application and the bass isn't as snappy but with it tuned properly for the right driver you will have no problem achieving what you're after

in circumstances like this, take the advice given to you.

Here is the truth. I don’t have much more then $2200 US in my car and it’s a show winner. Put the money where it matters most. That’s not speakers, or amplifiers. It’s sound treatment, install, and processing.

Unless you just want loud. Then just shove in as much cone area as you can afford with some cheap pro audio speakers.

Rock with 18s won’t sound good if the front stage can’t cleanly keep up. Or phase is all out of wack.
if you got both then it'll sound great. phasing is easy when you have a wall. Up front bass even without much time alignment needed. Along with 10 inch midbass. Also its easy to just lower the sub level as well.... No brainer on that.

nope, incorrect. that occurs when the manufacturer goes from a smaller sub to a bigger sub without increase motor strength to keep the TS parameters similar for similar performance. Its literally what you get with garbage tier woofers. With any properly made subwoofer brand, going from a 10-12-15-18-32 mainly affects output, does not affect punchiness or snappiness at all. That literally all enclosure and enclosure size/design is A LOT different when going up in sub size and takes a lot of work. Whatever you read is from a bunch of noobs that most likely used pre-fab ported boxes and dont know why their subs sound like complete sh*t. Pretty much the same people that say sealed boxes hit more notes than ported... complete noobs. As long as the sub is balanced with motor strength (BL) to moving mass ratio and their QES, QTS and QMS factors, it'll give the same punchiness at any size. You got people winning sound quality comps with 18s and 15s, its literally all in the install and tune.

for placement with best phasing in a trunk.

attachment.php

if you got both then it'll sound great. phasing is easy when you have a wall. Up front bass even without much time alignment needed. Along with 10 inch midbass. Also its easy to just lower the sub level as well.... No brainer on that.
Delay and phase are not the same thing. You can have the sub in the kick and it still sound out of wack.

nope, incorrect. that occurs when the manufacturer goes from a smaller sub to a bigger sub without increase motor strength to keep the TS parameters similar for similar performance. Its literally what you get with garbage tier woofers. With any properly made subwoofer brand, going from a 10-12-15-18-32 mainly affects output, does not affect punchiness or snappiness at all. That literally all enclosure and enclosure size/design is A LOT different when going up in sub size and takes a lot of work. Whatever you read is from a bunch of noobs that most likely used pre-fab ported boxes and dont know why their subs sound like complete sh*t. Pretty much the same people that say sealed boxes hit more notes than ported... complete noobs. As long as the sub is balanced with motor strength (BL) to moving mass ratio and their QES, QTS and QMS factors, it'll give the same punchiness at any size. You got people winning sound quality comps with 18s and 15s, its literally all in the install and tune.
for placement with best phasing in a trunk.

attachment.php
Sweet thanks for the info guys. The diagram has already helped loads.. had 2B going on.. just pulled the sub back and sounds heaps better just not so good for boot use. Will spin it around and try 1A that'll be better for space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.