Opinions for 6.5" Speakers ~$100-150

ravicus
10+ year member

Alright, so I am buying from speakers for my 1996 Tacoma Extended cab and I need some suggestions on speakers, personal experience would be nice if you've heard them.

Not really wanting a component system, I don't know where I would put the tweeters..

Anyways I have a front door slot for 6.5"s and a behind seat slot for 6.5"s. I'm wondering which one it would sound better to put speakers in if I only got one?

Would it be better to get 1 set using most of my money or buy 2 less expensive pairs(I don't think I could get a matching set either, the front one requires a slimmer speaker according to crutchfield)?

And basically I'm looking for speakers that will perform well with an upgraded HU, no amp, and probably no subwoofer. Just for some sound quality over OEM.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm seriously considering getting these, they are one of the few speakers that fits in the front slot of the truck, it must be a smaller than usual space.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy the best you can afford for the front stage and leave the rear speakers stock. Upgrade later on them if you want.

I am running the component set(mid only, didn't mount tweeter yet) right now and they are running off of JVC HU power at the moment and sound pretty good. I would look elsewhere to find them cheaper. I bought the regular coax's on Amazon for around $60,not the slim mounts. Unfortunately they did not fit my application, tweeter hitting factory grill.

If I leave the rear speakers connected and fade all the way to the front will the sound be totally played on the front ones?

Also, a special bracket is needed to mount the speakers in my truck, which Crutchfield includes for free (and also other accessories, free shipping, and they have good customer service and it comes with instructions).

I guess i'll go for these speakers unless anyone else has suggestions.

i got 2 sets of Alpine type R 6.5" speakers, components and coaxial, have them installed along with them amped, sound actually pretty darn good. i was impressed for the cheap 100 i spent.

yeah most four channels you'll be lucky to see 300rms+ bridged. my MTX puts out a little over 400 at 4 ohms bridged.

you could always look into running two amps, or get lucky with a nicer 5 channel amp and be done with it all.

I am pretty satisfied with Alpine Type R 6.5 components, the last years version, and I think I got them for about $150. You do need a good amplifier for them. I'd say at least 60watts RMS per channel.

yeah most four channels you'll be lucky to see 300rms+ bridged. my MTX puts out a little over 400 at 4 ohms bridged.you could always look into running two amps, or get lucky with a nicer 5 channel amp and be done with it all.
MB Quart ONX125 is rated for 4x125 (4ohm) or 500watts in bridged mode. This would be plenty for most users besides those who need their bass to be heard on the street. That's the amp I'd buy. Most 5 channel amps do not provide that much power on the sub channel and at best 60-70watts on speaker channels. There are a few good ones, but they do cost a lot. I'd rather get 2 separate amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.