One or Two Amps?

jbordwine

Is there a general consensus on using one large amp for the entire system or using multiple amps for multiple components? I have a regular cab Toyota Tacoma, I was looking at running two 8"s behind the seat and a midrange/tweeter compent set in the front. I went to my local audio shop and they suggested I use a 4 channel amp so everything will have equal power. If I use two smaller amps I can build my system in steps. Also, two smaller amps would fit better under the front bucket seats. What do you guys think? Better to use one larger amp or two smaller amps, or does it just come down to personal preference?

I my self run what ever is cheapest and smartest. being if you need a big amp on subs and small amp on comps then do it. but if that big amp can run it all then thats is too easy and too much since. but i don not see any reason to run it one way or another. besides the amount of wire and rca's

Danny

1 amp Advantages: cleaner look, easier and cheaper installation (less wire to run, less wire needed, not distro blocks needed, less amps to try to mount and connect, etc etc), probably cost a little less

1 amp Disadvantage; May be harder to find a single amp that gives the power you need for both the comps and subs; may need to make compromises there. If you ever want to upgrade, you need to upgrade everything (for example, if you want to go with higher powered subs). So it's a little less flexible

2 amps Advantages= more flexibility in upgrading (if you want to upgrade to higher powered subs, only need to replace the sub amp), may be easier to find amps that match your power needs

2 amp Disadvantages = Probably cost a little more, might be harder to find places to mount the amps, more wire to run

It just comes down to personal preference.

Squeak,

1 amp Disadvantage; May be harder to find a single amp that gives the power you need for both the comps and subs; may need to make compromises there. If you ever want to upgrade, you need to upgrade everything (for example, if you want to go with higher powered subs). So it's a little less flexible
Is this quote always correct? I was thinking of upgrading and getting a dedicated sub amp. Right now I have an Alpine MRV-F450 5-channel amp. I would prefer to keep this amp (just to save money) to run front components and possibly daisy chain the second amp. However, there are no RCA outputs on the Alpine (did I just answer my own question ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif ) There is nothing in the owner's manual about running a second amp.

Thanks in advance.

Squeak,

Is this quote always correct? I was thinking of upgrading and getting a dedicated sub amp. Right now I have an Alpine MRV-F450 5-channel amp. I would prefer to keep this amp (just to save money) to run front components and possibly daisy chain the second amp. However, there are no RCA outputs on the Alpine (did I just answer my own question ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif ) There is nothing in the owner's manual about running a second amp.

Thanks in advance.
so don't daisy chain the sub amp---besides chance are the sub amp is pull more juice than that alpine so you're gonna need bigger power wire and i think it's written somewhere that when running amps together the most powerful amp should be first in line.

You are right, no need to daisy-chain amps. That was a mistake on my part. So to hook up a dedicated sub-amp all I would have to do would be to run RCA's from head unit to sub amp instead of all RCA's going to 5-channel amp? (Obviously run new wire to distro and then distro to both amps for power) That does make the most sense. (sorry about this I am new)

Thanks for quick reply

yes instead of running all rca's to the 5 channel you take your sub pre-outs and run those directly to your sub amp and leave the other rca's where they are.

i would just get a big belle memphis amp and call it a done deal. my show car had soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much stinking wire in it it made me sick. the more complicated you make it the more complicated it is to find out what could be wrong. now that car has probably 5x the amount of wires in it and is a relitive bizatch to tune lol 8 12's arent sq material reguardless what its mated up with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.