Old School

cleansoundzz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Buena Park
How many of you use old school amps simply because you like them, like the look, circuity and they have served you well and you see no need to change? These amps can be circa 2000 or before, USA made, built like a tank reliable amps that just never gave you any problems. I just need to know so I can make some decisions for myself.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've loved the Oldschool amps I've used (crossfire, rf, and PPI), but they are absolute current *****s so my little civic can't handle them. Someday I'll do a strictly Oldschool build though

i love my old school precision power am/m series amps......dead sexy amps in my book...clean sounding, no crossovers, bass boost. nothing to degrade the sound...just pure unadulterated amplification..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i love the oldschool stuff!! brings back memories man! crank-it-up contest were awesome back then! 138dbs was also loud at that time.i must have 40-50 amps,about 35 of them are oldschool..mostly rockford but i have a few autoteks,orion,hafler,jbl and used to have ppi but sold them:(

i mainly collect all the amp made by ppi but have different brand names on them..like lanzar, mtx, special edition, proton, sansui , JL audio
the only thing bad about the older amps is you have to have a good active crossover, or some passive ones....which isnt really bad, you just have to set all of them just right...

the bbe sonic maximizers are awsome to... they are very hard to find, but if you get one you wont ever listen to a system without it....

I run a pair of Zapco AG350s, as monoblocks, on my mids. IIRC, they were made ca. '99. In the past, I've used Xtants and (older) Soundstreams with some success.

I run OS amps because there cool. When I was younger I always dreamed about owning the old stuff now I can afford it. I am currently running a US amps PT-1100 bass mekanik nothing like 1000 watts at 8 ohms.

I used to like the old school Linear Power amplifiers until I realized that certain models didn't make rated power. I should have known it was too good to be true for the 8002SW to make 800 watts RMS on 60 amps of fusing! Don't even get me started on their sagging power supply rail voltage when stressed. As for TIPS modifications, what a friggin joke.

Another one of my old school favorites would be the Orion GX, SX, and HCCA series. I still haven't finished the install in my fiancee's ride using some old school goodness, but that is coming soon! I just can't decide if I am going to run the Orion 280 GX @ 8 ohms on her sub, or run a HCCA 225 Digital Reference @ 2 ohms. High current versus high voltage... Decisions, decisions...

My last favorite would be the pre-HD Rockford Fosgate Punch 45/75/150. Unfortunately, every single one I purchased off of eGay had something wrong with it and ended up going back to the seller.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

How many of you use old school amps simply because you like them, like the look, circuity and they have served you well and you see no need to change? These amps can be circa 2000 or before, USA made, built like a tank reliable amps that just never gave you any problems. I just need to know so I can make some decisions for myself.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
That pretty much sums up exactly why I run my old school amps.

Is this basically all you post now?
Would you rather the questions asking if one can run their Hifonics/AudioQue/Sundown/Insert Name Here daily at 1/4 or 1/2 an ohm instead?

Or, my other favorite: "I am getting XX subs, which amplifier should I get?"

Better yet, what about a youtube video saying: "Muh shiz be bangin, look at muh panel flex, yo!"

In other words, there could be worse topics to start!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.