Old school bass, Nemisis....Munchies For Your Bass....question....

Participant count
  • Participant list
Yeah I just wonder why my 10's play it better than my friend's 12's and 15's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

My 10's don't actually play those notes great, but they keep the volume up better than my friend's systems. When they hit those notes, it's like the subs just stopped playing.

If your subs are in a sealed box and aren't hitting the lows the way you want them to, you have three options:

Option 1: stuff the box full of polyfill and hope that will extend you down to where you want to be. It might work, but i doubt it.

Option 2: build a bigger box. with sealed boxes the low-end extension is directly related to the interior volume of the box.

Option 3: build a ported box tuned REAL low

If you're already using a ported box, your only real option is to build another box that's tuned lower. No matter what the manufacturer says the sub's range is, chances are you can make it play a lot lower than what they say by just building the right box.

Well both my friend's boxes are sealed and "supposed" to be made for the subs. The box builder said he couldn't fit ported boxes in their trucks, but he could build sealed to meet the subs specs (both Memphis PR's). I haven't taken measuments to see if they really are big enough.....I'll do that and see. If they meet the specs, I guess the specs are just wrong?

Mfgr's specs mean **** for the most part. Yes they do know what they're talking about, and yes I'm sure the sub sounds good in that box, however there's always room for improvement. You can't just make a single box for any one sub and say "this will sound good to everyone"......if things worked like that, car audio wouldn't be any fun!

Well I did some measuring today and figured out that they are both below what Memphis says the subs need cubic foot wise.

One guy had ~2.5ft^3 for two 15's when Memphis says they need 2ft^3 each :eek:

The other has ~1.65ft^3 for two 12's when Memphis says they need 1.25ft^3 each :eek:

They sure are lacking on the low notes so it looks like they don't have the best box designs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.