Ohming subwoofer coils...

Participant count
  • Participant list

JakeW

CarAudio.com Regular
Okay who normally does it? What’s good what’s bad for a 2ohm DVC? Dc lvl 4 12s.... I have 2. Each coil on sub 1 read 1.6-1.8. But in series, it reads 2.5. Does that sound wrong? The other sub, measured 2.1-2.2 each coil, then in series inside the enclosure it’s 2.7?! Other subs Together in series they read 1.5

Here are the numbers are doing it again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 52
I'm not fully picking up what you're putting down but 1 check your wiring and then check it again. 2 a 2 ohm subwoofer could read higher or lower its common 3 your final ohm load may read high there are a many variables but don't freak out

They should measure about the same between voice coils of the same speaker model and same impedance ratings. However, you cannot measure the rated impedance with a resistance meter (ohmmeter). Impedance is a combination of resistance and inductive reactance. Resistance behaves the same for both direct and alternating currents. Inductive reactance only applies to alternating current. Your ohmmeter is only capable of reading resistance. Direct current doesn't care about inductive reactance, and that's why clipping (DC voltage) is notorious for roasting voice coils. There is no way to directly measure impedance or inductive reactance; the only option is to calculate it using ohm's law.

- Joe

To answer your question, the resistance measurement in serious should equal the sum of each individual resistor. Are you sure you are wiring them in series correctly?

Yes sir, the series on #2 comes right out to 4.0. But in parallel, it’s 1 not .5. I just want to make sure they don’t need warranty work before I get my dual enclosure.
To answer your question, the resistance measurement in serious should equal the sum of each individual resistor. Are you sure you are wiring them in series correctly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.