Ohm Loads In Respect to SQ

Participant count
  • Participant list

whitedragon551
5,000+ posts

IL
Im sure its been beaten over and over again, but a recent post Ive seen has me curious.

People believe that the higher your ohm loads the better the SQ. Generally the statement is a sub ran at 4 ohms will have better SQ than the same sub on the same amp at 1 ohm.

What I would like to see is proof of this. It would take a fairly controlled environment to pull off. Sub, box, song, everything would have to be the same. Of course amp gain tuned properly in both cases. Id like to see an O Scope reading of the two scenarios here.

Anyone have any concrete proof that 4 ohms is better for SQ than 1? Of course this is just an example. For me Im concerned with my Evo at 2 ohms rather than 6, but of course its all subjective and there are a handful of ways you could configure the hundreds of subs out there. I dont want people who come in and say "Oh Ive read this or that". I want plots, real world experience from competitors, vendors, etc.

I don't think it has anything to do with the sub but IIRC amps run more efficiently at higher impedances. Could be wrong though. As far as SQ is concerned I'm fairly sure with frequencies that low you won't be able to tell the difference.

here ya go read this
the 1st test is at 4ohms the 2nd is at 2 and the thd levels are double at 2 vs 4..

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/PDF/THE-DEUCE-AP.pdf

mind you this is from THE GOD of amplifier tech...
From those plots the 2 ohm loads are .1% more THD than at 4 ohm loads. How does that translate to a plot on an O Scope as far as distortion. Really at .1% that seems to me pretty minimal. I would think between the two there is virtually no difference running that specific amp at 4 ohms than 2 ohms SQ wise. How would that minimal THD increase translate to a O Scope graph?

look at line 33 in both graphs ( the difference is double for 2 ohm vs 4 ohm, give or take...)

as power increases distortion does as well

not sure what testing method he uses but I am sure it translates to or from an Oscope..

Stephen is a serious SQ guy which is why he makes his amps the way he does..

bingo...

unless you are running low power levels for the tonality of the music the resistance dif is gonna make little to no dif to your ears...

in an SQ only setup the difference is definately noticeable..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.