Not happy with.... everything.

Jeff06
10+ year member

I have 2 kicker L7's 4ohms 12" and a viper 1200.1d amp wired to 1 ohm. My coils burnt up and im getting a new pair, but i dont wana burn them up again... I was told by "the experts" that if i put my gain at 65% and keep my sub EQ flat, and only play it at half its volume max then they wont burn up... Whats the point in paying 1000dollars for a system if you can berly bump... i know more than just me have this set up, or have had this set up... is this true? anythign else i can do from keeping my coils buring up?

because you are clipping your amp by setting the gains to a level they arent to be set to - you are putting bassboost on ~45ish hz on your HU and the amp, and you are doubling (maybe trippling) the power that 1200.1 is making (a crappy and distorted signal i may add) and ****ing up your subs.

if two L7's at 500~600rms in a ported box isnt enough for you, i dont know what to tel you besides your box was made wrong.

my friend spend $90 (thru me) and his system knocks - but his car rattles to ****. he is quite happy. i dont know man.

follow the jl gain setting tutorial. i dont know what "experts" told u to set it to 65%, but thats wrong. sounds like ur box may be crappy too.

what kinda box? how big?

two L7's should eat up 1200wrms easily...

so it's either u or ur enclosurer.....or the off chance u got a bad pair...

but i'd definitely follow the gain setting tutorial this time...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Go to the amplifier section and read the gain setting tutorial sticky. Then, go out to your car and use that info to properly set your gain. After you set your gain properly, there is no need to use any bass boost features as this will only clip your amp. If you are bass boost-aholic, don't use anymore than 1 or 2db and drop your gain down a little lower.

The first round of blown subs definitely sounds like user error due to improper gain and/or bass boost settings.

something is fishy here, because there is a comp truck not to far from me with off the shelf L7 10s and has KX1200s strapped on each one

But he probably never plays them for longer than 3 seconds

And I believe all of Alma Gates L7's were off the shelf, and they were taking gobs of power aswell......but never for any length of time.

But he probably never plays them for longer than 3 seconds
And I believe all of Alma Gates L7's were off the shelf, and they were taking gobs of power aswell......but never for any length of time.
yeah he mostly burps his, but he runs a modded KX1200 on a single L7 8 in daily car, and WOW, it is hard to believe that is a little 8

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.