not fiberglass .. but Carbon Fiber =D

you'll need an oven, plus a sealed vac chamber or something.. that's how a proper carbon fiber piece is made, I think.
Depening on what you are doing with the CF you don't need an oven or the ability to pull a vacuum. There are several different ways to do CF.

The easiest and least equipment intensive way is to just do a wet layup like you would with fiberglass using a standard weave CF mat. Depending on the resin you use you can cure it with a heat lamp or sometimes even at room temperature. You can use an oven if you have one but its not required. This is acceptable for anything that is not structural in nature. If it is to bear a load of any kind wet layup is not consistent enough to make a very structurally sound piece.

Another step up would be using a vacuum assisted resin injection, the commercial name of which is Skrimp. This is a little more equipment intensive but works great for larger pieces where you couldn't get the proper resin penetration using a wet layup. This can again be a room temp/ heat lamp cure or use an oven. This method is acceptable for some non-critical structural pieces.

For the most uniform pieces you can get pre-preg CF. This comes from the factory preimpregnated with resin. This is the defacto standard for structural pieces in applications such as aviation. The problem is that pre-preg requires refrigeration to keep the resin from hardening and generally requires high cure temps for it to cure properly. Essentially, you must have an oven to use pre-preg CF.

If you have money and I mean a lot of money, just about the best thing to cure CF in is a pressurized autoclave. You seal the CF in the mold, pull vacuum on it, and then pressurize the autoclave. This makes the CF conform to the mold very well and is used for parts that require high accuracy.

One thing that you do need to remember is that a raw CF composite without a gel coat or something of that nature will be brittle. CF will bend 5-10X more than steel before it breaks but it will shatter almost like glass if its hit hard enough.

I'm currently a student worker at the MSU Raspet Flight Research Lab. Thats where I learned what I know about CF composites. http://shrike.erc.msstate.edu/raspet/index.html

We do a lot of composite work for aviation applications. We have a 10' X 55' 300psi autoclave that we cook CF airplane wings in. The most recent project we had was the design, fabrication and development of steel wool composite molds to be used in production of CF fuselage parts for a VTOL aircraft for DuPont Aerospace.

actually one of the guys i know is doing a complete carbon fiber install in his avenger....i know it's very fussy too because, since there is no finish work on it like fiberglass you have to lay your pieces very carefully....making sure there is no flaws....you cant be sloppy like you can with glass.......ummm i have to talk to him more he knows everything form laying it to the finished product....

i was just about to say that about the enzo. but BMW left the roof on the M3 CSL IMHO the whole carbon fibre look is overrated.it looks cool if the piece would normally be like black abs plastic such as a cold air box, side mirrors,ect. but would look stupid as a dash kit(mainly most aftermarket kits ). if i had the $$$ and was putting a system in a performance car i would make a carbon fibre enclosure but unless i was already going with a black theme i would paint it. and my reason for having it would be for the weight savings

build the box with fiberglass. Then take carbon mat and trim to fit. Any seams ect will show. Then take a light mist of contact cement to glue it down. After that coat it with epoxy resin. A thin coat then flood coats after that. A little sanding and then clear coat with urethane automotive clear coat. Email me if u need more help chrisw21_2000@yahoo.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.