not fiberglass .. but Carbon Fiber =D

vr4lyfe

Alright, this is my first post here. I have been lurking around this forum for almost a week now reading .. I just recently been getting into car audio so I am a complete NUB as far as audio goes .. but I do have a little .. and i mean little .. experience in fiberglassing.

But i want to get started in carbon fiber and I have no idea where to start. I have used search engine and searched this forum, but nothing seems to come up as a how to for make'in cf parts.

I figure this is the best place for advice since most of you seem to be composite experts.

I assume that cf is just like fiberglass. There's cloth and there's resin, just a different type of cloth and resin? You would lay it the same as you would FG but just using different material?

If so anyone know a good place to get CF material from for cheap?

Thanks.

i have never heard of anybody using carbon fiber....thast why you are getting no responses and came up with nothing from a search.

you'll need an oven, plus a sealed vac chamber or something.. that's how a proper carbon fiber piece is made, I think.

Better to just get carbon fiber sticker sheets (authentic looking ones can be costly too)

i see .. i just started glassin so i guess i dont see why no body uses cf .. its lighter and alot stronger .. more expensive .. yes .. but worht it for the cf look and all teh benefit i think .. just wondering why no one use them .. bad sound?

Unless you're building a new hood, there's really no need for it....if you're just building kick panels or a box or something of the like, fiberglass is all you need....

I do have a little experience in Carbon fiber.

it is just like fiberglass but you use carbon fiber cloth instead of fiberglassmatt. Yes is is stronger. That is why it is lighter. Less has to be used to make a firm enclosure. And yes it does cost more than kevlar or fiberglass.

As for making something have the carbon fiber design out of real carbon fiber, that is when you need the vac chamber and special equipment.

I just bought 5 sheets of carbon fiber vinyl sticker.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

yes 10 characters

uhh, I wouldn't. You could but if you notice normal layup resin isn't clear at all. Guess what that is going to do to your expensive carbon fiber. It's going to turn it a wonderful yellow tinge. I would suggest using clear epoxy resin. When it dries it's crystal clear. But personally I would stay away from carbon fiber until you get a firm grasp on glassin'. It can be done at home without the special tools. But it's really exspensive if you goof //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you are planning on bondo, sanding and painting the thing anyways arent you?? then the resin shouldnt matter

If you are going for the carbon fiber look and feel you are better off with that stick on crap.

you are planning on bondo, sanding and painting the thing anyways arent you?? then the resin shouldnt matter
If you are going for the carbon fiber look and feel you are better off with that stick on crap.

I personally don't plan on using carbon fiber anywhere in the near future. But if I was. I sure as he!! wouldn't spend all the money on the carbon fiber then paint over it. I'll take the real deal c/f over stickers anyday. I have done many installs using carbon fiber. Just like everything else there are ways to make things easier. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

come on now .. who would paint over the CF if it was real CF? =)

Thanks for all your advices guys .. you guy are great .. imma be working with only FG to get experience for a while before i even think about working CF, but I was just wondering if they use the same resin.

Thanks for the replies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.