Particle Board

It's not as sturdy and has a tendency to flex....I suppose if you're running a small amount of power you can get away with it, but if it's anything significant, MDF is the way to go.

If the box flexes and you still don't want to buy MDF, you could try soaking the box in fiberglass resin....

well im going to put two re8 in it. with about two hundred apiece if the porousness(sp)is going to be a problem i could use a sealer of some sort. i really just wanted to see what the eights sound like but since it looks like i blew my twelves i will have to run the eights for a little while.

well im going to put two re8 in it. with about two hundred apiece if the porousness(sp)is going to be a problem i could use a sealer of some sort. i really just wanted to see what the eights sound like but since it looks like i blew my twelves i will have to run the eights for a little while.
contact loneranger on here,pm him with your query.he can build you a box thatll be better than your particle board and itll wang like a mofo.i know the one he built for my friend hurts my ears.

With a properly built box using the particle board, you should be ok....

yeah i think it will be alright, i will probably use some sort of sealer for the inside. how much different will the eights sound than my twelves.

It all depends on what kind of box and the quality of the box. If you had twelves then you had more cone area thus the twelves should be louder if put in the same type of box. but if the twelves were in a sealed and your now going with a ported for the 8's then you might see a slight gain or a large gain... it all depends on the box. But if your twelves were in a sealed and the eight's in a sealed then you will probably have a slight decrease in volume.

if you brush a nice coat of resin on that stuff, it'll do just fine. glue it, screw it and cover it inside and out with fiberglass resin and it'll be solid. You probably want to double baffle the face too.

i tried to make a box out of that stuff a long time ago, and i wasn't too pleased with the results. 1" masonite mdf is my favorite building material at the moment.

i think double baffle means, like after u build ur box, u put another board on each side of the box. it reduces the flexing. it will give u an inch and a half thickness. that could help ya out some.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.