Not enough power to the amp???

Participant count
  • Participant list

nrlewellen

Hey guys, first time post for me here.

I have had a system in my vehicle for awhile, I was using a Kenwood KAC-7252 (old i know, I have had it for about 12 years i think?) and i WAS running two MTX 12's on it and everything was running and sounding good. I have 4 gauge wire for the power and ground. I just got a pair of kicker comp 15s off of a friend. When I try to run them ill get a half-assed sound and all the lights will dim, including the amp light, then nothing happens for a couple of seconds, and then it will do the same thing again. What could be going on here?

What is the resistances of them, each coil? How do you have it wired? Could be trying to wire to too low of a resistance for the amp.

Subwoofer Size 15" Peak Power Handling 500 watts RMS Power Handling 250 watts Voice Coil(s) Single Impedance (Per Voice Coil) 4 ohms Frequency Response 25 - 500 Hz Sensitivity 90.2 dB Xmax (millimeters) 9.76 mm. This is What I pulled off the website about the subs that I am running.

Is this your amp?

Kenwood KAC-7252 (kac7252) 1000 watts, 2-Channel Amplifier with

If so, are you running it bridged? You should run those subs each wired to 2 ohms, each one going to a channel, with the amp in 2 channel operation. Or, you could wire each sub up to 8ohms, then wire them together to 4ohms, to run a single pair of wires to the amp in bridged operation.

Reason for this is that in bridged mode, minimum impedance is 4ohms. How do you have those subs wired? If you have them wired to 1ohm, that is why it's going ino protect.

Yes that is the amp. By wiring the sub to specific ohms are you meaning how the subs are wired inside the box?? I tried bridging them and then ruthmg them on their own channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.