Cold weather Amp not turning on

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matt 9
10+ year member

Hello, i am having issues since it started getting cold out my amp doesnt turn on. It would turn on after turning the car off and waiting a little while, but now it wont turn on at all. my fuses are fine at the battery and the amp. power and ground seem to be in check also. Maybe time for a new battery ? Any advice would be great. thanks !

Amp is a polk audio 660 4 channel, it powers my sub and my fronts.

I have issues sometimes because my voltage is too high. Will it turn on after turning it off and back on after the car has been driven like 10 minutes? Check your voltage too when it's cold.

yeah, i'm almost willing to bet it could be my battery or terminals, i just noticed a lot of corrosion on one of the terminals, and its an older economy type of battery.

Battery voltage is low when it's cold now and poor connection means higher resistance. It could very well be that your voltage is just too low for the amp to startup

In addition to the battery and terminals, make sure your battery grounds to the chassis and engine block are not corroded. Do your headlights shine brightly or are they dim?

i got it working again, i re stripped the power, ground, and remote cable, made sure my distro block was tight, and it powered back on. i'm running a distro because i use to run 2 amps. i'm going to wait to hook up my sub, i can live with my fronts and rears working for now. i'm nervous that if i bridge the rear channel for the sub again, i'm gonna draw too much juice and it wont get enough power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.