Not car! Speakers for portable boombox.

Participant count
  • Participant list

evil_lies

Texas
I have been toying with the idea with billing a portable boombox incorporating a raspberry pi. If I put say two 4" full range speakers and a 6" sub (maybe smaller) in the same box am I asking for trouble mixing the frequencies? Also, my thought was to have the full range facing the front and the sub facing the rear of my box, so the magnets will be facing each other (not necessarily online though). Do I desperately need to physically separate the full range and sub from the same box? I was going to use a cheap crossover to separate frequencies.

I have been toying with the idea with billing a portable boombox incorporating a raspberry pi. If I put say two 4" full range speakers and a 6" sub (maybe smaller) in the same box am I asking for trouble mixing the frequencies? Also, my thought was to have the full range facing the front and the sub facing the rear of my box, so the magnets will be facing each other (not necessarily online though). Do I desperately need to physically separate the full range and sub from the same box? I was going to use a cheap crossover to separate frequencies.
you are going to be best off isolating the sub from the full ranges.

I saw a cooler boombox I was looking at with the intention of buying and this guy had used a small sized (1 gallon?) aluminum stock pot that he dynamatted to kill resonance as his enclosure for an cheap 8" sub... he used kitty hair to bond/seal it to the cooler and It seemed to do the job... I almost bought it... would have except the Pyle speakers and Boss amps he used were a turn-off

Cool. I would like to put it all in an ammo can, but am having trouble trying to figure out how to isolate the sub. I was thinking about a false bottom, but I don't think I have the room. I guess I could just build a small box to drop in. It would be a little tricky I think but potentially feasible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.