Noob questions..

Participant count
  • Participant list

RushX1

Greetings All,

First time poster here and wanted to get your thoughts on a concern of mine.

To be honest, I am an audio system noob. I have no idea on the current state of audio gear at all but..

I just made a major purchase on a new sub,amp and deck which I had been eyeing for quite a few months and just a few days ago made the plunge.

The gear :

JVC KW-V40BT

JBL MSA5001

JL Audio 12W6

So far...very impressed but then again, the only bene is my experience working "with" audio.

However...this is going into a brand new car purchased only 5 months ago.

A few days ago I was running errands and without warning my car stopped mid intersection.

I managed to pull off to the side and got it into the shop and was told it was the alternator/voltage regulator which was very odd to me.

I replaced the unit and last night I did a very dumb thing. I was showing a friend my sub and did not run the car when I was doing so. Upon leaving...the car wouldn't start.

Grabbed some jumper cables and it fired right up,however....this morning, nothing. No turn over or anything. I did have lights,radio worked..lol but it wouldnt turn over.

So now my question...

Would my amp having anything to do with this? Is it ******* so much juice that it's causing this?

Personally, I am stumped.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

(*note- I am taking it back in to the shop in the morning,10-1 they tell me it's the battery)

Sounds like the battery. Throw a charger on it and let it sit disconnected for 24 hrs and take a reading of the voltage. If its below 11 volts its a bad battery

This is a brand new car or brand new to you? Shouldn't be losing an alt like that at all man. How exactly do you have the amp hooked up?

And how long did you play it with the car not running?

It's not a very big amp, but playing the system with the car off will drain the battery pretty quick.

That is a very nice sub though. One of, if not the best, sound quality subs. Not very loud, but that's not what the w6 is for. It sounds very good. Is it in a prefab box, or did they build you a custom box? If its in a prefab box and you're impressed, put it in a custom box, it will blow you away.

Have the battery tested , I know that auto zone will test for free and be careful , there is a possibility that the custom stereo can affect the warranty but in my opinion I would not think that that amp on 1 woofer would kill your alternator. If it did , it could have been a defective alternator that got past the Q.A or testing at the plant where it was manufactured.

After installing the new alt, did u go for a drive, or had u already recharged the battery somehow? If ur original alt really was the culprit, it probably drained or battery quite a bit... upon installing the new alt, if u didn't go for say a 30 min ride at varying rpms, the batt was never really recharged.... alts are designed to ,maintain a batt, not recharge it....

Basically, or batt may have been low, and playing the system w it off was enough to take it way down....

I would suggest taking the car for 30 min plus drive w accessories off, to get or batt back up to proper operation.

I don't really ever run my system w the car off... its only operating at 12v as opposed to 14.4 w the car running... less voltage = less wattage....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.