Noob needs help with new subs and amp.

I did not mean literal zero on the gain but that I simply lowered them till I found a decent balance with the headunit . The Pyle subs are pl1290bl. I understand the box is a big deal but my issues are mainly weak sound and increased distortion in comparison to my previous subs (which also did not come with this box).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You may have to use a higher headunit volume to be able to get decent output from your amp. Also you need to be able to find the clipping point (the point where it starts to distort) so you can get max potential from the amp you have so you're not wasting power nor are you entering into distortion. I have a SMD DD-1, which is a distortion detector that can see what your amp can do cleanly, so if you are close to where I am I can help you out with that. But honestly you need to start thinking about investing in a custom box for your subs. Huge difference in sound quality and output without using that much power.

I just hooked them up as 4ohm load and while they no longer distort there isn't the same fullness of bass I had with the pyles. I am wondering if these are simply low grade subs. It would probably explain why they are on sale for 40 dollars. I am not sure if weight has any significant bearing in the audio field but these weigh much less than my Pyle subs. Is there another spec that I can look at aside from wattage that can differentiate speaker quality?

I just hooked them up as 4ohm load and while they no longer distort there isn't the same fullness of bass I had with the pyles. I am wondering if these are simply low grade subs. It would probably explain why they are on sale for 40 dollars. I am not sure if weight has any significant bearing in the audio field but these weigh much less than my Pyle subs. Is there another spec that I can look at aside from wattage that can differentiate speaker quality?

Im betting the pyles were a little bit better built. Pioneer subs are usually bottom of the barrel like boss and pyramid. Pioneer Head units are good, their 600 dollar stage 4 is good but subs and their mid to lower tier speakers ****.

Im betting the pyles were a little bit better built. Pioneer subs are usually bottom of the barrel like boss and pyramid. Pioneer Head units are good, their 600 dollar stage 4 is good but subs and their mid to lower tier speakers ****.
Yea guess I've been out the game a long time I remembered pioneer as one of the top guys for audio but that was probably the 90s. Guess I'll take these back to bestbuy. Can anyone recommend 2 12s that would go nice with my amp? Not really interested in building a new box and all this just want some decent sound in an old car I rarely drive.

Yea guess I've been out the game a long time I remembered pioneer as one of the top guys for audio but that was probably the 90s. Guess I'll take these back to bestbuy. Can anyone recommend 2 12s that would go nice with my amp? Not really interested in building a new box and all this just want some decent sound in an old car I rarely drive.

Need to know the specs of your current box in order to recommend anything.

You cannot just throw any sub in a random box and pray to god it hits well. Thats not how that works, theres a science behind it and the box is the most important factor in how loud and good sounding you get. Betting those pioneers in a properly designed t line enclosure can flex your windshield an inch or two.

Go down to 11th street and central and get yourself some kickers or something. Whats the size of the box? In order to recommend subs we need to know the enclosure size

Need to know the specs of your current box in order to recommend anything.
You cannot just throw any sub in a random box and pray to god it hits well. Thats not how that works, theres a science behind it and the box is the most important factor in how loud and good sounding you get. Betting those pioneers in a properly designed t line enclosure can flex your windshield an inch or two.
The width is 33 inch. The bottom depth is 13 inch and the top is 10 inch with the back sloping down and out from the top.

So this is your box?
Not really the top of box has a flat platform that goes back ten inches then slopes directly down. The top depth is 10 inches the bottom depth is 14.5 and between the two is a 45 degree angle connecting them. The height of the box from bottom to top is 15 inches.

budget on subs? If you're willing to go out and buy new subs, then getting an enclosure built will be about the same price or less and will probably outperform what you can do with your current box.

budget on subs? If you're willing to go out and buy new subs, then getting an enclosure built will be about the same price or less and will probably outperform what you can do with your current box.
I guess I'm mainly hesitant on a new box because I just got new subs that sound worse than the ones I replaced and the issues I am having a with distortion and weak sounding bass. Is this something a new box would remedy? I was wondering if maybe my amp is better suited with some higher end subs like the two I posted?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.