noob: help me choose an amp

hoy128

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much noob status when looking at spec sheets for audio stuff. I currently have a 2005 Acura RL with a stock head unit running an Alpine PDX 1.600 and a JL 12" W6v3. My amp is starting to have issues so I want to replace it with another amp. Unfortunately, my budget is only about $300 so my options are limited. Here are the two amps I was looking at, and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to throw them at me:

JX1000/1D - JL Audio Monoblock 1000W RMS Class: http://amzn.com/B004LMCZMY

Alpine PDX-M6: http://amzn.com/B003GF33XM

Thanks in advanced guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
I'm pretty much noob status when looking at spec sheets for audio stuff. I currently have a 2005 Acura RL with a stock head unit running an Alpine PDX 1.600 and a JL 12" W6v3. My amp is starting to have issues so I want to replace it with another amp. Unfortunately, my budget is only about $300 so my options are limited. Here are the two amps I was looking at, and if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to throw them at me:

JX1000/1D - JL Audio Monoblock 1000W RMS Class: http://amzn.com/B004LMCZMY

Alpine PDX-M6: http://amzn.com/B003GF33XM

Thanks in advanced guys!!
Out of the 2 you listed I would go with the jx1000/1. I had one for a while its rated a 1000@2 ohms which is probably what you will be running your sub at. I ran mine at 1 ohm for a while and had no problems out of it

Do you want to keep it a small form factor or are you looking at these brands because you like them?
Size doesn't really matter to me. I'm really a noob and I tend to gravitate towards brand names that I'm familiar with. If you know of another brand or amp model that's within my budget, please feel free to recommend some.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Out of the 2 you listed I would go with the jx1000/1. I had one for a while its rated a 1000@2 ohms which is probably what you will be running your sub at. I ran mine at 1 ohm for a while and had no problems out of it
Thanks, thats the one I was looking at too plus its $60 cheaper hahahaha. I just wanted to throw this question out there to see what more knowledgeable people felt or to see if they might be able to recommend a different brand/model.

What is wrong with your current amp?
Every few minutes my subwoofer makes a loud thump. It's loud enough to shake the car. It happens regardless of what source the headunit is on and regardless if the headunit is on or off. I brought it to a shop and they said the wiring, subwoofer, and head unit checked out OK. They believed that it was the amp's remote plug. He said that this is what turns the amp on and off and when this plug is defective it will misbehave in this manner, which also explains why the thumping occurs even when the headunit is off.

I figure that I can just buy an amp on Amazon to swap out to really determine if this is true or not. He said that I could also have my amp fixed but I called around a few shops in the area and no one offered that service. I don't really have time to hunt for a repair place so a new amp it is.

That don't sound right. If the HU is off the amp will not kick on. I think you have a wiring problem. Where is your remote coming from and do you use a cheap loc?
um....yeah....I wish I had an answer for you. I paid to have everything done for me and the shop that I brought my car to is pretty reputable so I just trusted that they knew what they were talking about. Do you think I should have a 2nd shop check it out before I replace the amp? I was kind of on the fence with his answer too but I thought that it would be cheaper to pay for return shipping to return the amp to Amazon if I didn't need it versus paying a 2nd shop $80+/hr to try to figure out what's going on.

um....yeah....I wish I had an answer for you. I paid to have everything done for me and the shop that I brought my car to is pretty reputable so I just trusted that they knew what they were talking about. Do you think I should have a 2nd shop check it out before I replace the amp? I was kind of on the fence with his answer too but I thought that it would be cheaper to pay for return shipping to return the amp to Amazon if I didn't need it versus paying a 2nd shop $80+/hr to try to figure out what's going on.
Unplug the remote and rca wires at the amp and see if the problems still occurs. That will eliminate the hu

As for amps in your price range these are some excellent choices

Sundown SAE-1000d -$289

Soundqubed Q1-750- $210

Soundqubed Q1-1200- $269

Crescendo S1500.1- $299

You need to troubleshoot before wasting money man. If that problem happens with your current amp, it'll happen with the new amp. Its a wiring issue most likely. Reputable or not, people still overlook a lot of things during an install. Take it back to them and make them fix it for free if they have warranty on their labor. Most reputable shops have warranty on their labor, if they dont then its a not so reputable shop to be honest.

Unplug the remote and rca wires at the amp and see if the problems still occurs. That will eliminate the hu

As for amps in your price range these are some excellent choices

Sundown SAE-1000d -$289

Soundqubed Q1-750- $210

Soundqubed Q1-1200- $269

Crescendo S1500.1- $299
sweet! thanks for the suggestions!

You need to troubleshoot before wasting money man. If that problem happens with your current amp, it'll happen with the new amp. Its a wiring issue most likely. Reputable or not, people still overlook a lot of things during an install. Take it back to them and make them fix it for free if they have warranty on their labor. Most reputable shops have warranty on their labor, if they dont then its a not so reputable shop to be honest.
Sorry, I forgot to be more clear. I've had this amp in my car for about 2-3 years now. The shop that originally hooked it up is no longer around otherwise I would have brought it to them. I started having this issue a few months ago so I brought it down to this new shop to troubleshoot for me. I was planning on having this new shop install the new amp for me too so in case it turned out they were wrong about the amp being bad I might have some wiggle room to get a discount on the other services that might be required. I really wish I could troubleshoot this myself but the first shop installed the amp in a very tight spot and all the wires are ran behind the trunk walls. I'm just not confident enough to tear out the walls to follow cables.

Well if you wanna take a drive south I live 15 min from gilroy. I can take a look at what might be the problem. Like said. You make not need an amp. Might just be the loc is bad

@mylows10 - wow thanks so much for even offering. I wish I could drive down to take you up on your offer but that drive isn't realistic for me. Maybe if I needed a new kidney and you had one laying around haha.
@dubs7sonoma / jeffdachef - **** you guys and your sense and logic! troubleshoot before fixing....ughh...so much work lol. I guess I'll ask around to see if anyone has a spare amp laying around for me to test. My buddy told me to take the one out of his car but the though of having to unmount it from his trunk is giving me nightmare....just a lot of work for a novice.

edit: ooo just saw that they blocked out my word with four *....um, sorry I didn't use the four letter word that started with an F there, i was d a m n...lol. The F would would totally be interchangable there but would probably **** off a lot more people.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.