Possible amp issue?

Participant count
  • Participant list

FML
10+ year member

Extreme Lowwwwwws
Idaho
Had a quick question. Was looking to buy a new amp from a dealer who sells used equipment locally. Unsure if there's an issue with it.

Ill explain how he went about testing it for me. Keep in mind, its a stupid approach, its not how i test amps, but he was the seller, so. Ill leave out brand and price to keep the bias out of the equation.

Amp is 1500w rms. What he did was take a paper clip and attached it in a ring fashion to both power and ground terminals, and then had alligator clips attached to them that let to his.power supply. I imagine this set-up was created ror the quick and easy way to test products in a high volume atmosphere.

Any way, when he powered up the amp, it turned on. However, the paper clip coming off the positive to his alligator clip got RED searing hot, like you'd see on a piece of metal being forged in a molten hot oven. He powered it down and said he didn't know what happened. I guess this is how he tests all his amps, even bigger ones without that occurring during any of his tests. I decided not to buy it until i found out if it could have a problem thats not clearly visible.

Is that a red flag of some sort? Reason im asking, is its a nice amp and I could get it at a stupid good price. But obviously not if its got a problem. Iv never seen it happen before so im reaching out for advice. Thanks guys!

What's that mean.

And yeah i could just hook it up to a normal setup, just wondering, if sound works, everything seems to check out, would this seemingly odd power connection, or maybe some type of short cause serious problems? Like i said, iv fixed amps in the.past, diagonsed many more and iv never seen such a thing occur.

What's that mean.
And yeah i could just hook it up to a normal setup, just wondering, if sound works, everything seems to check out, would this seemingly odd power connection, or maybe some type of short cause serious problems? Like i said, iv fixed amps in the.past, diagonsed many more and iv never seen such a thing occur.
I wouldnt buy it...I spilled my purple drank on my keyboard while I was typing and had to go find another...

I wouldnt buy it...I spilled my purple drank on my keyboard while I was typing and had to go find another...
Yeah i love me some drank.

But anyway. Does this.sound like a problem with the guys power supply, or.the amp? It was inside a shop, so wasn't a 14v car connection, looked to be coming out of a little charge station. What i immediately thought was suspect, is how he was hooking things up. But according to him, thats the same method he uses to test all his amp products without any prior problems. So i dont know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.