No output from headunit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cgraz1187
10+ year member

I am trying to install a jensen 5610 headunit, along with 6.5 coax. in the front and power acoustik 6.5 midbass drivers in the back, powered by a jensen powerplus 760. Yes, this is a cheap ass system, but I am installing it for a friend in his 1986 toyota pickup as he only had two speakers and a cassete player.

This is the problem, I installed the midbass drivers in the bcak and the 6.5 in the front, I used the existeing wiring from the original speakers in the doors, and I ran 14g speaker wire from the wiring harness back to the amplifier, the deck only has 1 set of preouts so I used two y-splitters to hook up the 4 channel. all of the speakers are connected correctly, but I am getting no sound from the headunit. When I turn the key on, I get a crazy sounding signal, that runs through all 4 speakers, and slams the midbass', but no music, I quickly unplug the chan 1 input and the signal stops, if I replug the rca back in, nothing happens until I turn the key off then on again, and the signal from mars comes back.

I tried the hook a single speaker up to one of the headunits speaker wires directly, and I received no sound from that speaker either. This leads be to believe the headunit is bad. I am going to hook up a different hu tommarrow to confirm,

but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

do you have power coming from your RCA's? may have a bad internal amp inside the HU, but the RCA's may still be good. Dont know much about Jensen.

I had a cd playing but no sound was coming out, I figured I had speakers hooked up wrong or something, so i took a loosed 6.5 speaker and hooed it up directly to the headunit speaker wire, and no sound came out.

It could be a ground problem , as I grounded it to the seat mounting bracket, which the floor is rusted to death. I will try that, but it isnt just one thump it is a middle pitched whine that thumps continuosly until I pull the channel 1 rca. And it only happens when I first turn the key to on.

do you have power coming from your RCA's? may have a bad internal amp inside the HU, but the RCA's may still be good. Dont know much about Jensen.
when I hook the rcas up to the amp, I still get 0 sound, only the strange signal noise and thump when the key is first turned to on and he hu boots up. Once I pull the rca, the signal stop and the its back to silence.

Im def going to check the ground at the amp, but shouldnt the hu power the speaker I hooked up directly, as it has no relation to the amplifier ground?

yes u are correct. so you hooked a speaker directly to the HU w/o amp and nothing?????????????????? try all the speakers and nothing?????????? um................. not sure then. Try another HU Iguess and see what it does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.