Newby needs help picking an amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

jimithing78

Dallas
Hi all. I'm thinking about replacing my stock setup and looking for a little advice. First and foremost I'm concerned with sound quality. I listen to mostly rock music (classic rock and grunge) but there's a little bit of everything thrown in from time to time.

I'd like to keep my vehicle as stock looking as possible just because I've had some bad luck in the past with my cars being broken into for stereo gear. So I'll be keeping my stock head unit and just replacing the speakers.

Since my head unit will be stock I'd like an amp that has 4 channel speaker level inputs. I also have a stock subwoofer that I'll be upgrading so I'll need to power 5 channels. I'd really prefer to just do a five channel amp unless there's a huge reason not to. I'm thinking somewhere around 50-75 watts per channel and then 250ish for the sub. I've been looking at amps like the Alpine MRX-V70 and the JL Audio XD700/5. What I don't know is

1. Are there higher quality amps that I could get in the same price range?

2. Are there equal quality amps that I could get for a lower price?

Of course those are well known name brands but I'm not familiar with the lesser known (at least to me) brands.

Also both of those amps are Class D. I'm sure this has been covered over and over but is it worth trying to find a Class AB amp for better sound quality? I tried to search here and other places but I can see some people saying AB is definitely better and others say the difference is imperceptible. I don't know what to believe.

In case it matters this is for a 2007 4Runner and I was planning on mounting the amp under the front passenger seat. Thanks in advance.

I'd run a 4ch and a sub class d for the sub.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

I have a t4004 4 ch if interested.

I would do the new an oh 5 channel amp it can run your entire system. Also cdt components in the fry doors and a sub in the rear. Maybe a set of 2ways in the rear. I have a 92 4 runner. So I can help you plan out the whole system if you like. And I listen to 80s metal and stuff like breaking Benjamin and theory of a deadman so sq is real important to me too

I would do the new an oh 5 channel amp it can run your entire system. Also cdt components in the fry doors and a sub in the rear.
You lost me on brands already. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I found CDT via Google - I'm unfamiliar with the company but I'll browse their site. How are they regarded in the consumer side of the car audio industry? I'm looking for clean sound and longevity. I'm assuming "an oh" is either a mistype or an acronym for an amp company that I'm unaware of. Can you clarify?

I'd run a 4ch and a sub class d for the sub. 

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

I have a t4004 4 ch if interested.
Why 2 separate amps instead of 1? If I put in two amps I'd have to get creative finding a place for the second. Not to mention running two power cables, signal cables, etc. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible unless there's a real good reason to do 2 amps.

the Eleets 5ch Hybrid..I talked to this guy a month or so ago about the Eleets 4ch and they are rated kind of stupid, but they are some of the cleanest SQ amps available for the $. On the 5ch Hybrid, you are looking at about 125 x 4 at 4ohms and @400x1 for the sub at 2ohms.

Multi-Channel Amplifiers

a little bench test:

Zuki Audio Eleets 4-Channel Amp Review

I corresponded by e-mail, and responses were reasonably quick.

You lost me on brands already. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I found CDT via Google - I'm unfamiliar with the company but I'll browse their site. How are they regarded in the consumer side of the car audio industry? I'm looking for clean sound and longevity. I'm assuming "an oh" is either a mistype or an acronym for an amp company that I'm unaware of. Can you clarify?
CDT's are killer. The ones have in my sig are their entry level and I've never heard anything cleaner or louder for under 200. I listen to mostly rock, and these things absolutely wail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.