Newbie with perplexing intermittent cycling amp protection mode problem

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi.

This is my first post. Hoping someone has experienced a similar problem and may be able to help me out a bit.

A little background:

I have two Kia vehicles (2012 Kia Rondo EX and 2011 Kia Sedona LX) and both vehicles have a Chinese 7" Android NAV DVD WIFI head unit. I have been using these head units for several years with no issues. Both cars have a Clarion 4-channel (XC1410) amp and each has a powered subwoofer (Sedona has an MTX 8" and Rondo a Rockville 10" - no doubt regarded as junk in most car audio spheres, but sounds quite good to my untrained ear). As much as I'd like to have JL Audio gear, it simply ain't in the budget. I am not a crank the stereo kind of guy - anymore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, plus I have a couple young kids traveling with me a lot.

Here is the problem with my Sedona's audio system: Everything works great for a while (can be up to a couple of hours), then the amp starts into protect mode. The amp is only slightly warm to the touch. It shuts on and off with the consistency of a metronome, 1 second on, one second off, one second on, one second off..... If I turn the volume way down, it will stop going into protect mode and play normally. The subwoofer never misses a beat - it continues playing at any level, has no issues. five minutes, or maybe 10 minutes later, everything returns to normal. Amp draw - windshield wipers, headlights, rear defrost seems to have no bearing on the issue.

The subwoofer and the Clarion amp share an 8 gauge power line (pigtail off to supply the amp) which I believe is adequate as the clarion has (1) 25 amp inline fuse and the MTX sub tube, a 15 amp fuse. My main power line (about 7' - 8' long) is fused within a foot of the battery with a cartridge style 60 amp fuse). It is safely wire tied away from heat, sharp edges etc. All connections and grounds seem good. I am going out to sand my Clarion ground point a bit more soon.

I have tested the battery and the power line just before the amp and seem to be getting 12.3 - 12.6 volts on ACC and the battery reads ~14.3 V with engine running. I have not been able to successfully test the voltage at the amp when the amp is actually going into protection mode.

About a month ago, I replaced my alternator and battery. The alternator basically fried. I was on a road trip and pulled over as soon as I started hearing alternator noise coming through my stereo. Yep, smoke coming off alternator. Since the replacement, there have been no issues. And, I was having the protect mode issue before the alternator bit the bullet.

So, I have read lots about the various test to do (disconnecting speaker wires one at a time, then RCA cables etc to try to isolate a shorted voice coil, shorted speaker wire or damaged interconnect cable). The problem is that my system works great for periods of time, then starts acting up. It doesn't seem to be heat related as the amp only ever gets a bit warm, not hot at all. Bumps or driving conditions seem to have no bearing on anything - nothing seems loose. I have not been able to identify a common set of circumstances that contribute to the intermittent problem. I thought about picking up another amp and trying that, but I'd rather attempt to isolate the problem before doing that.

I have the app Torque Pro and can monitor, among many other parameters from the ECU, control module voltage. Voltage from control module is always ~ 12.5 V whether the amp is working fine or cycling protect mode.

I'm baffled. Anyone think they might have a inkling about what's going on with my system?

Thanks VM in advance.

Adam

Signature will hopefully show up soon. Created it after this post...

EDIT 2: After reading CollinHawks post a few down, it reminded me that I too had used the balance and fader to all 4 corners and it continued cycling protection mode regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out and aggressively sanded the amplifier ground point. Now there is bare metal completely under and slightly around the ground terminal. I did a moderate to high volume test on ACC and with the engine running - each for about 8 - 10 minutes. Worked great, but it has before anyway. Time will tell.

Yesterday I drove around for about 2 hours and the problem did not occur even once. I went out for a drive last night and after about 10 minutes it started again, but it went away after a few minutes. Any ideas?

might need dedicated runs for each amp. Have you tested the battery voltage?
Thank you. I think I will follow your suggestion. I have some extra 8 gauge wire, terminal ends and a fuse holder. My fuse holder looks like 10 gauge wire and is a blade style with a cap. This is what I used in my Rondo - one line for amp and one line for subwoofer - and it's worked fine. Each power line in my Rondo uses the inline fuse holder as shown in pic, each with 30 amp fuse.

fuse%20holder_zpsp4dln9uy.jpg

Using the calculator below, I think that 10 gauge wire spliced into the gauge should be fine for my clarion amp.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wirepowercalculator.swf

Yes, I have tested the battery voltage: ~12.6V with engine off and ~14.4 with engine running. At the wire pigtail just before the amp I am getting, on average 12.3 - 12.4V. I haven't yet been able to get the voltage reading when the amp is doing its protection mode thing. Because my amp does not have terminals, I have to puncture the power cable insulation, but I tape it up after.

Thank you. I think I will follow your suggestion. I have some extra 8 gauge wire, terminal ends and a fuse holder. My fuse holder looks like 10 gauge wire and is a blade style with a cap. This is what I used in my Rondo - one line for amp and one line for subwoofer - and it's worked fine. Each power line in my Rondo uses the inline fuse holder as shown in pic, each with 30 amp fuse.

Using the calculator below, I think that 10 gauge wire spliced into the gauge should be fine for my clarion amp.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wirepowercalculator.swf

Yes, I have tested the battery voltage: ~12.6V with engine off and ~14.4 with engine running. At the wire pigtail just before the amp I am getting, on average 12.3 - 12.4V. I haven't yet been able to get the voltage reading when the amp is doing its protection mode thing. Because my amp does not have terminals, I have to puncture the power cable insulation, but I tape it up after.
Yup you need dedicated runs of wire. Doesnt matter what the calculator says. Your amp is getting warm, its going into protect ALONG with all the symptoms improving when you redid your ground. This is all pointing to the amp being starved for current due to a weak power line. Issues and problems arising speak for themselves.

Have discovered what I suspect is a damaged speaker. Maybe it's contributing to my amp protection mode. My driver's side 6.5" (Cadence) is seriously rattling and distorting even at lower volumes. Just ordered a set of Massive Audio LX6 2-ways. Likely a significant upgrade from the Cadence (which didn't sound so bad). Of course with my luck, immediately after buying the Massive Audio speakers, the Polk DXi651s went on sale. Oh well. I'm sure the LX6s will be an improvement. Also ordered a set of NVX silk dome tweets for the D-pillars of my van. I like my treble 360. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Here are the new speakers. I picked them up from a well-known car audio website for just under $45.00:

https://massiveaudio.com/products/lx6-co-axial-speakers

I still plan to run a dedicated power wire for my Clarion as recommended by Jeff.

I do have a quick question about the 6dB crossover that comes with the LX6 speakers. Would it be silly to skip installing the crossover and wire the speakers straight? I'm only running 50watts per channel and rarely crank it up past 1/2 - 2/3 volume. These speakers seem fairly robust and may be able to handle the full range. I'd hate to lose any low end. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.