Newbie Wiring/Fuse question regarding fuse size.....

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok forgive me if this is a stupid question... I've had to do a lot of research into car audio having not much experience in the past, but after buying my 2011 f250 lariat and being told about "premium sound" i was kind of pissed when i cranked it up and it sounded like a **** wind up radio... so i started upgrading and here's my question... I currently have 1/0 awg wire with a 150amp fuse running to my soundstream 1200.1 amp connected at 4 ohms to 2 sundown sd2 10"s.... There's only 1 stock hole through the firewall that i was able to use but i want to add a seperate 4 channel amp after the head unit for door speakers... I purchased a fused distribution block for midi fuses and am planning on connecting it after the firewall so i can run 4 gauge wire to the sub amp (in back of truck) and 8 gauge to the door speaker amp (in front of truck) I have 60 amp and 30 amp midi fuses.. Will these be sufficient for the amount of power i'm running through the system? Should i go up to 80+ amp midi fuse for the sub amp? Is this whole setup a stupid idea? I just don't want to drill through my firewall, I'd rather use the existing hole w/ 1/0 awg wire. Any info is appreciated!!

What is the fuse if any in the Soundstream Amp? Its always been my practice and most oters to use 1 fuse per amp. In the case where te amp has multiple fuses I generally add the total and go to the closest fuse size equal to or one size up. I would mount the distroblock closer to the amps possibly in a tool compartment

There are three 35amp fuses in the amp itself. The owners manual says "peak current consumption at rated power into 1 ohm - 100A" What would be the downside to having the 2 fuses? Sorry if my questions are dumb, but i like to learn, and thanks for the help!

There are three 35amp fuses in the amp itself. The owners manual says "peak current consumption at rated power into 1 ohm - 100A" What would be the downside to having the 2 fuses? Sorry if my questions are dumb, but i like to learn, and thanks for the help!
If I were you I'd up the fuse on the 0ga to 180a, get a single 0ga in, dual 0ga out distro block, and run 0ga to the soundstream (fused at 140a) and 4ga (or smaller depending what fits the amp) to the 4ch amp, fused around 60a.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.