NEWBIE Question.. THanks for the help...

Participant count
  • Participant list

paul27

NY, NY
OK here's the deal... I'm just looking to get great sound in my car... no competing... no rocking the neighborhood, just pure listening pleasure... while in traffic

I don't know much about car audio but I've been reading that some HU's give out 50watts RMS x4 channels, which is pretty decent I think if I'm gonna run 4 speaker (f/r/l/r) that rate 60rms and a medium sized sub.. maybe... (200watts or so)

The question is:

Do I really need to put in a surface mount amplifier? For the subs maybe... but for the 4 main speakers... can I just use the HU's output?

Would putting in amps (such as JBL 80.4) improve the quality of the 4 main speakers or would it be the same.... (thinking of infinity 6x9's)

I'm on a tight budget and I was thinking of splurging on the HU and speakers rather than getting an expensive 4 channel sub...

What Brands/setup can I get for under 500$ or thereabouts

Thanks to all the experts here for helping me out....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

well to be honest...the h/u only puts our aprox 33w rms per channel.....and it would probably be best to get the 4 channel amp for the speakers if your wanting to get the best sound...or you could just run them off your h/u which isnt a bad idea....then you could spend a little on an amp and sub....what ever you decied...good luck

i think 33 watts rms is kinda pushing it, maybe 33 watts total rms, but not 33x4. anyways, for ur subs, i would recommend a 10" jl w0, or a kicker comp. power these with a fosgate 250.2 or even 160.2. if u want true listening pleasure, then yes, do get an amp for ur speakers. the jbl 80.4 would do good, but i think u should up the wattage some, say 30 or 40 watts per channel. good luck

thanks guys for the info... the installer at the shop told me i needed an amp, just wanted to be sure that he wasn't trying to make me buy somehting i didn't need...

I guess he was right...

Again, appreciate it...:p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.