new too this stuff quick question i need answered

LTfrank

Maine
i have a 2001 Cadillac deville and i would like to put a amplifier in and subs i know my factory alt is rated at 140 Amps and the system i was looking at draws a peak of 1500 watts and i have a 5 farad capacitor is this system going to be too much for the alt. getting repairs on this car is not the cheapest thing and i know the cost of me getting a HO alt is going to be a lot due to the fact access to the alternator is time consuming to achieve. would just like to k now before i burn it out and have to end up paying another $1100 bucks to get another new alt. know this price cause when i bought the car i had to get the alt replaced.

Toss the cap

Get a decent agm battery for the rear or replace stock battery.

Generally 1000-1500 watts is about the limit for stock electrical

A good agm group 34 would be fine for that power.

Toss the cap
Get a decent agm battery for the rear or replace stock battery.

Generally 1000-1500 watts is about the limit for stock electrical

A good agm group 34 would be fine for that power.
Certain reason why you say toss the cap? I have been told to get better/more batteries but i am on a slight tight budget with saving for college next few years. I would like to just get a higher output alt but with that car being almost as old as me im a little hesitant on putting "unnecessary" money into it.

Whats your goals? what subs are you looking to run? I think we need to know your goals and real budget before making suggestions. IF its that small you dont waste your money on unnecessary things.

No Boss amp in the history of Boss amps has ever even made half rated power, if you do not already own it, avoid at all costs.

That said, with a good quality battery under the hood a legit 1000W amp shouldn't put undue wear on your alternator. Mind you, if your alternator is 16 years old you'll probably need to replace it sooner rather than later no matter what you do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.