New to Car Audio...

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi all,

Just bought myself a daily, which come with a sub and amp. The sub was an awful Mutant 12" thing in a mutant box, the amp is a Twister TW-1500 (1500w) never heard of the amp tbh but a lot of audio company's seem to sell them, the sub was dead, obviously killed it through the amp. I did my research online for a fairly powerful yet cheap sub until I can afford something better. I settled on a Bass Fave SPL 12.1 which is rated at 750w RMS, I couldn't find a negative review about it and the videos of the sub showing it hitting real hard for the money (£47)

I watched a few videos online on setting the gain etc with a 40hZ test tone, i backed the gain off a little at the point I believe to be distortion, however the sub barely kicks at all.. and I know this is bad, but only with the bass boost on is when it kicks. I feel like the sub has much more to give but don't want to risk blowing it in seconds. Obviously I would prefer the bass boost to be off as that's a no no and even with the gain turned fairly high (around 3/4) it's still fairly quiet, back the gain off to around half way flick the bass boost switch on and it really starts to hit hard making everything shake.

Is the issue I'm having the amp is too low powered for the sub? Ideally would I want a ported box? As this is a generic sub/amp package sealed box

Sorry for the noob-like questions but only just started taking interest in this as my other car is a pure built track car with 1 seat and no interior, no room for Audio, it's added weight :p

Thanks in advance

it can be because amp isn't strong enough also your hu may not have enough volts on preouts, check youir ground make sure it's tight and paint sanded off where it's screwed or bolted.. also your amp (which i know nothing about ) maybe as example may do 800rms @ 1ohm and u may have sub wired to 4 ohm so may only be making 150rms idk.. tell u what voice coil/coils subs has is it dvc or single or the 2ohm or 4 ohm, does amp say what it is mono 2 channel or how much power it makes and different ohms? when u say amp is twister U DON'T MEAN TWISTED SOUNDS DO U? if so thats a awesome amp..

Thanks for the reply!

The amp is a 2 channel which is obviously not ideal as it came with the car.. using what I've got basically, the amp is bridged at 2phms and the sub is also 2ohms according to the specifications. The head unit come with the car, it's a Pioneer 1700 which is a cheap HU. I have got a DAB Sony headunit in my other car which was about £270 a year or so ago so I will switch these over, better head unit is always a good thing! Believe it's a MEX-N6000BD certainly a better head unit compared to the £60 Pioneer that came with the car.

If I'm honest I can't find a great deal of info about the amp online but I'll post them on here for your to see, it's not Twisted Audio, I wish it was! They look awesome!

EDIT: here's the amp http://www.caraudio4less.co.uk/twister-tw1500-2-channel-1500w-amplifier-p-2054.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.