New to car audio, and looking for some advice!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello all,

I have recently accquired a 2002 honda crv, and I was looking at installing a car audio system(subs are my first priority.) I am technology forward, but have never really done anything like this before so i was really looking for some advice, maybe even direction to a different thread or something like that. I do have a budget of around 1200 dollars for this. Here is some of the reasearch I have done so far.

Head Unit:

For a head unit i would really like something with a screen....a big one. The space in the crv is about 7 inches and I think that was standard for some cars at the time. At first glance, a headunit that seemed to work would be something like THIS I like how it has the bluetooth because i could then stream audio from my ipod. But I am completly ignorant on:

Does it have good sound quality?

Would I be able to connect it to an amp?

Would it fit in the space or would I need to buy a bracket?

Would I be able to use the speakers that are in the doors?

Any other concerns I should have?

Any suggestions on different head units?

Amp:

I know that I need to have an amp. What size would fit my needs? I want dual 12" subs. Thats what I want but I do have a pair of 9x6 speakers just sitting in my basement that I bought at a garage sale for 5 buck and maybe I could incorporate them as well but I am not sure if that is even possible. I also have no idea of how big of an amp my car could support. It has a 90A alternator which does not mean a whole lot to me but probably means a lot to someone who knows more. Another side question is do I need a capasitator? I have no idea on an amp yet because I have no clue on what size or a good brand.

Subs:

I want the subs to hit hard. I was thinking of dual 12'' but nothing smaller. Even if i don't use them to their full abaility, I want them to look big. I just want to stay simple and bolt a box to the floor. Something that looks kind of like THIS You have to scroll down a bit. I like how that looks. It is nice and simple and I probably will end up putting the amp on the top of the box like that as well. But I do not know what brand of subs I should buy or box and where.

Other Speakers:

So as I stated before it would be nice to incorporate the 9x6 speakers but will that cost more? A lot more? And do I even need them? There are only four door speakers so I am not sure if that will be enough. Are tweeters hard to install? I don't know if I need them but I would like to hear the words and not just bass, but they seem much more complex to install.

That is what I know so far, just looking for a lot of advice before I start the project, so anything posted is greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Subs:

Im new to this myself, but it looks like you have done a lot of research, for the most part two 12's can hit hard, but is the aim spl or sq. I don't know about that head unit, but it is pretty cheap for a touch screen. And i am running 550 watts from my stock alternator no problem, no light dimming either, it's a truck though. And the size amp depends on the rms required for your subs. You usually want to give them close to the power that they can handle. Keep reading and google stuff,. There are a lot of answers out there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.