New System thoughts??

dmbrichie
10+ year member

So I bought a new 2012 F150 XLT a few weeks ago, and the factory stereo is JUNK... So I am wanting to once again upgrade... I would love some help/advice on my ideas though... I am planning on running:

2 JL 10w3v3

2 JL C2-650 for all 4 doors

Phoenix Gold SD1300.5

Either JL Cleansweep or Audiocontrol lcq-1

I will be keeping the factory head unit, so after some research I believe I need to run a PAC from the back of the HU to the system.

My main questions are... I am not sure if I should be running 2 or 4 ohm subs?? Also, depending on what ohm subs I get, how should I wire 5 channel amp?

125 Watts x 4 Channel / 2 Ohms

80 Watts x 4 Channel / 4 Ohms

800 watts x 1 Channel / 2 Ohms

500 watts x 1 Channel / 4 Ohms

get 2 4 ohm subs so you can run the amp at 2 ohms. Better to have a little extra power than not enough. If it put out a solid 500rms at 4ohms it would actually be enough for those 10s. And there really should be only one way to run a 5 channel. Your sub out/LP will go to the box, wire the subs together through the inside or at the terminals. If you have the 4ohms youll run the positive and negative to one, then jump those to the other sub/terminal.

Ok, and that way then each sub should be getting roughly 400 watts correct?? Is it smart to put components in all 4 doors? Or should I only put them in the front doors and put some 5x7 in the rear?

Personally, I think JL Audio is a total waste of money...the same quality could be bought for cheaper..way cheaper. But I'll shut up..I don't feel like being flamed right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif

Personally, I think JL Audio is a total waste of money...the same quality could be bought for cheaper..way cheaper. But I'll shut up..I don't feel like being flamed right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif
There probably arent very many people on this forum that would disagree with you on that.

There probably arent very many people on this forum that would disagree with you on that.
I'd sure hope not..paying $1/watt on some of their amps is just ridiculous..

lol I wish I was paying $1 a watt.
Haha, I'm only paying about $.10 per watt on my amp..I'm content. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd look somewhere other than JL for the subs and front stage, and wouldn't bother with speakers in the back seat unless you regularly have people riding back there...

For 270.00, the cheapest I can find for 2 pairs of those JL comps, you could get something really nice up front.

SSA Dcons come to mind as far as subs, they cost less than the JL's and work good in small ported enclosures. Box is the most important thing here though, hit up one of the box guys on here, I like Mobile Enclosures.

As far as the amp, I see used Memphis Big Belle's for great prices all the time... I'd prefer that to the PG 5 channel.

I'm content. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
that's all that really matters in the end. After 11 years in this hobby I have started chasing what I consider the best equipment.

cool story some one who knows how to save to make worth while purchases he is content with...
there I fixed it for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

And OP. I've heard the Jl comps all models (I am friends with a JL dealer) I was severely under impressed with them. I suggest looking around or posting a budget so people can link you better sets.

Well after measuring exactly how much room I have underneath my backseat yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to fit 2 10w3s... So my new idea is to run 2 JL 8w7s... I have enough room to have them firing towards the front of the truck under the rear seat still. I know alot of people on this site always seem to be "against" the big name brands such as JL, RF etc. But I have been running these products for 14 years and have never been unhappy. I am in no way trying to build a competition system... I am completely open to trying out different mids other than the JL... Focal?? Thanks

Youve never been unhappy with jl, but have you tried other brands to compare to jl? You could come to find out youve been unhappy this whole time,compared to what you could have had.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.