New system-sound issue?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jcraft
10+ year member

Hi all,

I am new to car ausio and have never had anything other than a stock stereo. I now have the following.

- jvc amp 200x1 for sub

- 12" bazooka subwoofer

- Sony HU

- Rockford Fosgate 50x4 feeding front and rears

- Polk 5x7 rear and Infinity components in front

Now my question. I have set up everything and originally adjusted my gains by ear and then also set with a dmm which didn't change all that much. My HU goes from 0-50. NOw seeing I don't know how better system sound I have nothing to base it on sio here is where you guys come in. When I play the actual radio ( FM) I go from 0-48 before distortion is heard. With that I find myself cranking the radio up to about 45 to get close to the volume I like to play sometimes ( I like it loud once in a while). CD's sound much beeter and I only need crank to aboutt 42 to acheive volume. Now when I plug the ipod in and keep the ipod at full volume, this syetm sounds incredibly loud at only 35-38 with the music sounding so full and rich. I can't even go above 40 before my ears can't take it. I am assuming it is just because it is a digital signal and the quality is better. Unfortuanetely I listen to the radio much more than cd's or ipod so if I want to get the radio sounding better would I need to go to a more powerful amp or is this just somehing that is inherant to a FM signals. I am assuming the FM signal is just poor quality and the amplifir is not amplifying a clean signal compared to digital. Thx

The volume will affect the perceived loudness depending on the source. AM/FM will not be the same as CD, which will not be the same as an iPod. This isn't because of the quality of the music. Some radios have a setting to adjust the levels of different sources so your volume is even.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.