New System..installing self..need details figured out

Participant count
  • Participant list

Austin
10+ year member

systemdraft.jpg

ok, thats what its going to be

currently it is one PPI 2200 and 2 12" w3v2's and the CDA-7878 HU....

now for the parts I dont understand

since I did not install waht I currently have(shop did, before i knew a **** thing abotu car audio) I have a few questions.

1. how does the RCA's go to the amps? Are there enough outputs? Does the sub-out get split to go to both amps? Then is there another output for the 4channel amp for the doors?

2. Fuses/Distribution blocks/Wiring? Ok, so I currently have 4 gauge going to my amp, I think i'm going to have to upgrade to 1ga..how do I figure that out? Also, what size inline fuse would I need next to my battery? From my battery i go to the inline fuse..then to a distribution block then to my amps, correct? Does a distribution block have fuses? What gauge wire should I use to my door speakers, i'm thinking 12gauge. I heard to use 12gauge to my doors then 16 to my tweets from the crossovers. Does anyone know where to buy spools of wire that would be good for this?

3. Do I have to setup the crossovers myself? Also can you cahnge the amount of power going to different channels on the 4 channel amp? Because the fronts could use more power and the rear a little bit less.

4. Is their anything else that I need to know about when wiring/installing this stuff that you dont normally hear about? any suggestions? Thanks

systemdraft.jpg

since I did not install waht I currently have(shop did, before i knew a **** thing abotu car audio) I have a few questions.

A: Bear in mind that my answers are of my ow opinions, and many people can have different ideas on it.

1. how does the RCA's go to the amps? Are there enough outputs? Does the sub-out get split to go to both amps? Then is there another output for the 4channel amp for the doors?

A: Yes, unless you have active xovers or equalisers, RCA cables run from headunit to amps.

You can have Y splitters if you find that you don't have anymore terminals for the RCA's. IF you are running rear speakers, then you will have to somehjow think about rerouting the cables so that the fader will work. DOesn't PPI amps have RCA outputs? If it does, you can simpley daisy-chain them together.

2. Fuses/Distribution blocks/Wiring? Ok, so I currently have 4 gauge going to my amp, I think i'm going to have to upgrade to 1ga..how do I figure that out? Also, what size inline fuse would I need next to my battery? From my battery i go to the inline fuse..then to a distribution block then to my amps, correct? Does a distribution block have fuses? What gauge wire should I use to my door speakers, i'm thinking 12gauge. I heard to use 12gauge to my doors then 16 to my tweets from the crossovers. Does anyone know where to buy spools of wire that would be good for this?

A: A 4gauge would be plenty for your amp, I'd believe. The main power might be 1 gauge, just to be safe. The main inline fuse would depend on the total draw of your amps. Your manual should state maxmimum draw. Add all of them together, take out maybe about 20 amps (aps don't really draw as much as stated, I've heard) A dsitro has two types, fused and blocks. Fused would befor positive wires, and blocks would be for ground wires. The largest speakers still need no more than 16 gauge. I dont' think it matters much. Wire is wire. ANy osrt of wire that fits the bill would be fine. Get well insulated ones though, so it won't be easy to get cut by the car's chassis.

3. Do I have to setup the crossovers myself? Also can you cahnge the amount of power going to different channels on the 4 channel amp? Because the fronts could use more power and the rear a little bit less.

A: If it is passive xovers, there are some that are adjustable, but basically, all you need is to connect the wires, simple. If it is active, yes, you need to set it correctly. There are basic settings that people use and vary from there. FOr instance, Sub: 2Hz~80Hz, mid bass: 80~275Hz, and so forth. THe xovers are not responsible for sending more or less power. It simply cuts off frequencies sent to the amps. You would need to control the gain on the channels on the amp by yourself.

4. Is their anything else that I need to know about when wiring/installing this stuff that you dont normally hear about? any suggestions? Thanks

A: A host of things can go wrong in installations. The biggest problem that I had was gettin the wires through the firewall and alternator whine. Make sure the battery is not connected before starting any installation.

Originally posted by Austin 2. Does anyone know where to buy spools of wire that would be good for this?

Walmart. They carry spools of high quality Scosche [sp] wiring for pretty cheap. Thats all I ever use. They have from 20awg to 12 I believe in the spools, and they have their amp wiring kits also.

I love your system layout so far...but I have one question:

Why two pairs of mid/highs? I would reccomend getting a better set up front, and then bridging the amp to get more power to the better speakers. You would get better sound that way.

hmmm

explain

so instead of the dkd 113's get something worse and spend more money on the front? I really dont want to spend more than $220 on the front, and thats how much the PSD 216's are... if I dont get mid/highs in the doors in the rear, what would i get?

why do you need anything in the doors? Use the money you were going to spend there and get the next step up for you good speakers. If the rears have some factory speakers...just use those if you HAVE to use rear speakers. It's all just a opinion, but I would rather have great stereo sound instead of crappy quadraphonic sound.

i dont know if this is a problem

but

i emailed PPI yesterday abuot what the max amp pull on the PPI PCX-2200 and the PPI PCX-480 and they told me this

PCX-2200 is 80 amp max

and

PCX-480(which i bought today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif) is 70 amps max

so considering that i'm getting 2 2200's and 1 480, does that mean I need a 230amp+ alternator? Hopefully not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I currently only have a 70amp alt and its running one 2200 fine, with barely any dimming.

and as for aftermarket alternators I can get a 150amp that fits bolt on

Originally posted by Austin i dont know if this is a problem

but

i emailed PPI yesterday abuot what the max amp pull on the PPI PCX-2200 and the PPI PCX-480 and they told me this

PCX-2200 is 80 amp max

and

PCX-480(which i bought today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif) is 70 amps max

so considering that i'm getting 2 2200's and 1 480, does that mean I need a 230amp+ alternator? Hopefully not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I currently only have a 70amp alt and its running one 2200 fine, with barely any dimming.

and as for aftermarket alternators I can get a 150amp that fits bolt on
My suggestion would be for you to get a 150A ANL in-line fuse close to the battery, at LEAST a 4 gauge all the way to your fused distribution block and fit the correct fuses. I think the 2280 can live with a 60a AGU fuse, if I'm not mistaken. Amps don't pull max all the time, and fuses don't blow the second the amps go a bit over their rated power handling.

As for alts, if you can get a 150alt, get it. I'm more than sure you're gonna need it one day or another. Your system will probably kill your alt anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.