New system doesn't sound right

Participant count
  • Participants list

gmpisawresome

I just installed a Kenwood dd 9903s, a pair of morel Maximo 6 components up front powered by a dual xpr82d, Rockford r165 coaxial in the rear, a subwoofer in the back, and sound deadening on all door and side panels. However, the sound just doesn't seem right; it's like its missing something. I've set my crossover at 80hz, with a 12db drop off for 6.5s and 24db drop for subwoofer. I have tried to adjust eq but I don't know enough about it to change it accurately. Are there any settings I should have turned off or on? The sound just feels like it's missing depth, and the highs are too strong. It's almost like my 6.5 are blocking anything below like 150hz. Currently it sounds worse than my stock system did. Any ideas?

Defiantly provide more info. Those tweeters aren't that bright imo. Gain too high? You're not exactly using a sound quality amplifier on them. Did u double check polarity?Are you using any of the hu sound affects?  Did u use the amps crossover as well? Not a good idea. Have you tried tuning the tweeters down in the crossover section of the hu? Did you try isolating each speakers then tuning? Have you tried different slopes?  A lot of possibilities you could have wrong. Even my 5.25 maximo have decent response for cheap small mids.

Personally I like to isolate the speakers (turn off sub and rears to tune front etc)turn the eq all the way down and work my way up. No sound affects turn it up to max listening volume  and typically don't go over 0db on the eq but everyone has their own way of tuning. You won't be able to eq the rears separately but your sound stage will sound better if you keep them turned down in the time alignment section of the hu.

That's exactly the information I needed, thanks a ton! You mentioned time alignment, I'm extremely confused about that. There appears to be two settings; one is front focus and the other is listening position. I tried listening position by measuring my head to the speakers, but it sounded tinny and flat. Front focus sound much more full by trying to align the time with my hearing but still lacking. Am I adjusting these right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.