New System Build, Looking For Advice

I've had many subs and there are reasons why I've picked the mille. You can flash stats and specs all day long but I'm talking from experience here. What about you?

I ran two Dayton 10's in an Expedition. VFL 8's currently in my truck. XfL's in two BMW's. Rockford pro series back in the late 80's. HE2's in a Chevy crewcab. He2's in a Super Duty Ford crewcab. Type R in a BMW. And currently have an AB HD15 in my VW Beetle. Besides that, I have zero experience.

dayton subs are very good. The ultimax line is a sub that is designed to perform sealed, and in a 4th order bandpass design they perform as well as any sub I’ve used. The reference high output line of Dayton is their sub that works well in vented designs. Both have good xmax and perform just fine in their price point compared to other subs of the same price. That is what I’m running in my next system after building a 4th order enclosure for the Dayton ultimax 10 that I did for a kids Hyundai suv.

You want to compare a taiwanese sub to a over-engineered one made in italy designed exclusively for car audio use? 🤨

I'm asking $400 cad for it btw. Barely used.
I mean your hertz seems like a good buy I’m just not the guy that would ever pay $1k (or $600 for a overhyped w6) for a 750 rms subwoofer new. Way too many other areas of on a vehicle/install where I would be spending doll hairs optimizing sq potential (like rear cargo/liftgate sound treatment and panel rattle) instead of a subwoofer driver. This opinion respective to starting on a from stock vehicle as op is.

Interesting conversation, I haven’t heard much about Dayton, I can certainly look into it.
Cost isn’t too much of an issue, I’m just looking at good options for the amp I’m running. For example - there’s a pre-loaded ported box that JL makes - HO110-12W6V3 - and in Canadian dollars it’s on sale for $799, or approximately $615USD. That’s sub and box. I’m leaning towards that because everything I’ve read tells me it sounds incredible with anything between 500-600w which is exactly where I’m at with the Alpine amp.

I’m curious about the Mille, I have a local dealer that works with Hertz and is usually pretty good to me with pricing.

If I give a ML3000 ~500w of power, in a sealed box, how does that compare to the JL W6 I mentioned above with the same power?

Sq isn't as simple as asking opinions on equipment and going with someone's opinion on what equipment to use.
Your install is just as important as the equipment. Sound treatment tweeter location just as important as the equipment. Type of sub enclosure. The enclosure itself orientation placement in vehicle how much net airspace do you have to work with etc.
How do you like your mids and highs? Bright and in your face or a little more on the mellow side? How do you like your bass just kinda there (filled in) or bass you can feel that has good extension.
I listen to metal and classic rock.
For me I like punchy prominent bass that doesn't roll off too soon plentiful midbass and smooth sounding mellow ish tweeters. Not a fan of bright tweeters.
500 watts for the sub stage I'd personally go ported. More efficient better extension tuned mid upper 30s depending on the sub choice and the space I have to work with. That's for me. I'd also probably go with raw drivers if you're going active.
You should be posting what you have in mind for how yours should sound and type of music you mostly listen to etc. It'll be easier for people to steer you in the right direction to help you meet your goals.

Despite popular belief you can get sq with a ported enclosure. It just takes a little more effort on your part or your box designers part. If you cannot build or have someone build the enclosure than you might be better off going sealed. Pre fab ported enclosures don't have sq your vehicle or your sub in mind when manufactured.

Thank you for all your advice, I’m going with the following;

JL HO112-W6V4 (12” in a ported box)
JL TWK-88
Hertz Mille Legend MLK 16503 component (will run active)

The place I’m getting it installed will use dynamat in the doors, and hatch. They’ll also be doing the tuning for me.

I already had the Alpine PDX-V9 to power it all, and the deck is the Pioneer AVH-1400NEX.

Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.