New System Build, Looking For Advice

2K18FXT

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Kitchener, ON Canada
Hey all! Sorry if this is in the wrong section, my first post here.

I got an Alpine PDX V9 for Christmas along with a Pioneer deck and that’s led me down the journey of looking at new speakers and a sub to go with it.

It’s going to be installed into a 2018 Forester XT.

I’m looking for 6.5” components, 6.5” rear coax and a single 12” sub. My goal is the best SQ I can get that my amp will be able to power. So 100W x4, and 500W into a sub.

I’m trying to decide between Alpine Type X all around (including the sub) or Hertz Mille Legend all around and a JL sub (W6?).

Pricing wise they’re pretty close to one another.

My concern for the Type X sub is that it’s rated at 700w rms, and my amp will only put out 500w rms. So is that not enough power.

I’ll be doing a sealed enclosure.

Looking to see what you all think, and if you have any suggestions for someone that hasn’t had a system installed in over 15 years.

Thanks!

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
Hey all! Sorry if this is in the wrong section, my first post here.

I got an Alpine PDX V9 for Christmas along with a Pioneer deck and that’s led me down the journey of looking at new speakers and a sub to go with it.

It’s going to be installed into a 2018 Forester XT.

I’m looking for 6.5” components, 6.5” rear coax and a single 12” sub. My goal is the best SQ I can get that my amp will be able to power. So 100W x4, and 500W into a sub.

I’m trying to decide between Alpine Type X all around (including the sub) or Hertz Mille Legend all around and a JL sub (W6?).

Pricing wise they’re pretty close to one another.

My concern for the Type X sub is that it’s rated at 700w rms, and my amp will only put out 500w rms. So is that not enough power.

I’ll be doing a sealed enclosure.

Looking to see what you all think, and if you have any suggestions for someone that hasn’t had a system installed in over 15 years.

Thanks!
What pioneer model did you get? If your pioneer runs network you should run tweets off the front channels and front mids off the 3/4. Skip a passive crossover.

those Comp sets are 499 and 799 respectively so you’re going to be paying for a crossover you may Not need.

w6 subs are overpriced and output is meh.You could get something like this and get a ported enclosure built to the sub spec, get better output and still have good sq.

YukonXL04

Senior VIP Member
Apr 20, 2017
Arlington,TX
What pioneer model did you get? If your pioneer runs network you should run tweets off the front channels and front mids off the 3/4. Skip a passive crossover.

those Comp sets are 499 and 799 respectively so you’re going to be paying for a crossover you may Not need.

w6 subs are overpriced and output is meh.You could get something like this and get a ported enclosure built to the sub spec, get better output and still have good sq.

I agree on the network mode if possible
And I would run a w6 over a sundown E series any day
A w6 in a sealed box is a pretty solid sq bass setup. I have a 12w6 laying around I'll put to use one day. Always been happy with its capabilities.

2K18FXT

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Kitchener, ON Canada
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I’ll look into those subs!

It’s the AVH-1400NEX

2K18FXT

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Kitchener, ON Canada
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree on the network mode if possible
And I would run a w6 over a sundown E series any day
A w6 in a sealed box is a pretty solid sq bass setup. I have a 12w6 laying around I'll put to use one day. Always been happy with its capabilities.
That’s what I’ve heard about the W6 as well. The power rating seems to be a good match with the Alpine V9 amp as well.

I forgot to mention that the sub won’t always be in the vehicle, as I’m still hoping to make use of the practical side of having a Forester. So the component/rear combination needs to be strong without a subwoofer.
I was thinking maybe two preset audio settings, one with a sub and one without that I can flip between.

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
That deck has network, alignment and 13 band eq.... should be good. That being the case you can find good tweeters and mid range drivers to avoid spending dough on crossovers you don’t need. You don’t need rears for sq, you could treat your front doors and get better bass response.

best price for a 12w6 on Amazon is 575 and 490 for 10w6.That’s just crazy pricing for That 600 rms sub and imo totally paying the jl marketing machine. Your budget though since your also leave budget for a$750 comp set

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
American Bass XR series is a good budget minded sound quality alternative sub. There is no way I would pay that much for a W6. Or a Dayton.
Screenshot_20200104-213508_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200102-155354_Amazon Shopping.jpg

YukonXL04

Senior VIP Member
Apr 20, 2017
Arlington,TX
I would run the Dayton if your looking for sealed an sq. Or pick up a used w6. That's the only way I ever buy JL audio is used. I wont buy JL new, not worth that price. But used you can get some good stuff for good prices

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I have an extra ML3000 for sale locally. It will shit all over the mentioned subs.
You are trying to compare a $1,000 sub to decently priced subs. Not really apples to apples. Just because it says hertz, doesn't mean that a guy who hasn't had a system in 15 years would hear the difference. I would like to do a drop in test with the Dayton and ML3000.

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
You are trying to compare a $1,000 sub to decently priced subs. Not really apples to apples. Just because it says hertz, doesn't mean that a guy who hasn't had a system in 15 years would hear the difference. I would like to do a drop in test with the Dayton and ML3000.
You want to compare a taiwanese sub to a over-engineered one made in italy designed exclusively for car audio use? 🤨

I'm asking $400 cad for it btw. Barely used.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
You want to compare a taiwanese sub to a over-engineered one made in italy designed exclusively for car audio use? 🤨

What makes you think the Dayton isn't designed for car use? Hertz is Italy. Dayton engineering and development in the US. Your Hertz is a single voice coil 4? The Fs is better on the Dayton and dual voice coil.
Screenshot_20200105-131106_Google.jpg

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
I've had many subs and there are reasons why I've picked the mille. You can flash stats and specs all day long but I'm talking from experience here. What about you?

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I've had many subs and there are reasons why I've picked the mille. You can flash stats and specs all day long but I'm talking from experience here. What about you?
I ran two Dayton 10's in an Expedition. VFL 8's currently in my truck. XfL's in two BMW's. Rockford pro series back in the late 80's. HE2's in a Chevy crewcab. He2's in a Super Duty Ford crewcab. Type R in a BMW. And currently have an AB HD15 in my VW Beetle. Besides that, I have zero experience.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
dayton subs are very good. The ultimax line is a sub that is designed to perform sealed, and in a 4th order bandpass design they perform as well as any sub I’ve used. The reference high output line of Dayton is their sub that works well in vented designs. Both have good xmax and perform just fine in their price point compared to other subs of the same price. That is what I’m running in my next system after building a 4th order enclosure for the Dayton ultimax 10 that I did for a kids Hyundai suv.

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca

I mean your hertz seems like a good buy I’m just not the guy that would ever pay $1k (or $600 for a overhyped w6) for a 750 rms subwoofer new. Way too many other areas of on a vehicle/install where I would be spending doll hairs optimizing sq potential (like rear cargo/liftgate sound treatment and panel rattle) instead of a subwoofer driver. This opinion respective to starting on a from stock vehicle as op is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds