New System - 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L

Participant count
  • Participant list

djnsmith7

Gents,

New member here. Been out of this industry since the early 90's. Looking to get back into it so that I can update the system in a '16 Pilot. I'm on a budget & prefer not to go over $2k for everything.

I don't want to give up any cargo space, which is why I've opted for the low profile Kicker Hideaway 8" under the 2nd row seat (may add a 2nd later).

The EX-L model comes with the upgraded system, so I'm pretty sure it'll have an amp. I'll use that as the go-between from the HU to the DQ-61 (for any potential proprietary communication). AudioControl suggests it in their literature.

Here's what I've come up with so far & I'd like to know if I've covered all the essentials (& also your opinions on my selections):

HU---Keeping the Factory HU

Front---Polk MM6501 Comps 125w @ 2.7Ω

Rear---Polk MM6501 Comps 125w @ 2.7Ω

Amp 1---Factory Amp > DQ-61

Amp 2---PPI 900.4 145w x4 @ 4Ω

Sub:---Kicker Hideaway 8" w/ Amp @ 150w @ 4Ω

DSP:---AudioControl DQ-61

Here's a concoction of how everything looks in my head:

Last edited by a moderator:
That actually looks like a pretty good system. I would personally though disconnect the center channel. There is no way it will be able to keep up with those MM's up front and will just create phasing, alignment and distortion issues. And I'm assuming since it will be connected directly to the stock H/U it is being used as a full pass speaker, receiving freqs way lower than it should and I doubt the stock H/U has any bandpass options to tune it at all.

This is more a preference thing too, but I would switch out the DB series in the back with another set of MM series coax. When running multiple sets, I also prefer to keep the tweeter and woofer material the same. I have found in the past that mixing and matching produces different sounds from each that can be a PIA to tune out sometimes.

Great suggestions. I got to thinking about the project & I think the MM6501's would work well for my system. I ditched the center channel & simplified the configuration. Besides, the 2015 Pilot has 6.5" slots in the rear, not 6x9, so it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome info. I just bought a 2016 EX and am considering installing components as well (DB6501's - my budget is a little less than yours). I was wondering how you installed the tweeters. Were you able to get them in the stock location in the front? Or cut new holes in the door panel? Any advice or pictures you could share would be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.